Monday, January 18, 2010

Oh, rats!




Well, mice, actually. And let me first start out by saying this was not an idea birthed by myself. No, sirree...this was all the hub's doing. I ventured into Bed, Bath & Beyond (what actually is the "beyond"? I never did figure that one out...) and hubs decided to trek the kids over to Petco. Now, I knew that this was not the best idea, however, I really and truly valued my half an hour of blissfully quiet shopping. So I was not at all surprised when they returned to pick me up, chatting a mile an hour about two new members of our family..."Frederica and Willamina". They drug me back with them to Petco to meet "Freddy and Willy". Hubs had officially decided that it was his turn to pick out some pets....and since the chameleon was too expensive, he settled for 2 female mice. The girls pulled him around the store, trying desperately to convince him that we "needed" to add several other critters to our mini-farm. He vetoed the ferrets, hamsters (2 have passed away in our care in the past year), turtles, a lizard, and various noisy birds (phew to that one). Thankfully, we went home only with the two very small mice. And so, our evening was spent setting up house and home for the rodents and then watching them run on their wheel for an hour. A pretty intense night,eh?!
After we had put the girls to bed, Kaytlin ran downstairs all in a panic, thinking one had escaped. Apparently she heard a mouse in the wall (we do, in fact have one....hopefully just one....). After reassuring her that they were happily still running the wheel, she crawled back in bed.
Now, I have but one simple, yet very profound question that is pressing my mind. Why did we just invite the very rodents into our home that we work so hard to keep out? That's just something I can't wrap my brain around tonight...
P.S. For those that are wondering, yes, that is a "cake house" in the first picture! Ah...to live in such luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment