As a mom, I tend to be a bit...well...fanatical about certain things. Like children running on pavement. I just have a thing about it. When I even think about it, all I can envision is teeth flying out, blood spurting like lava. My mouth gets all drooly, I become nauseous and cringe all over like someone running their fingernails down a chalkboard. I can't help it. I've tried. The hubs informs me that I need to "let the kids be kids". And honestly, I've given it a shot a few times. I allow them to run on pavement....periodically. And when I do, I absolutely cannot even watch. I refuse to watch. Ick...my mouth is drooling already just typing about it. Seriously. In my B.C. life (before children) I had no problem giving IV's and doing blood draws, but give me an injured child, and I'm jello...go figure...
So....that's basically what occurred last evening. Except take away the pavement and replace it with slippery floor tiles. This house is full of them. I know have a new found hatred for them. I've caught myself a few times from slipping and falling on them since we've been here. Shiny tile flooring and socks are not a match made in heaven. Little Lexy learned the hard way. On her way bringing me her dinner plate I watched her slip and slide to the floor, banging her face on the stairs on her way down. Wails rang loud throughout the house, dogs erupted in wild yapping, concerned siblings broke into tears and my mouth immediately went into drool mode. After I calmed her (I think I needed more calming than she did) and the bleeding subsided I inspected the damage. And what I found brought on a whole new wave of drooling and nausea. Bruised gums, a loose tooth (that ought not to be), and a poor lip that looked like a horrible lip enhancement surgery gone awry. I'm so not good under pressure like that. The hubs said he could read it all over my face. I possibly was a hint of green. Either way, I got through it and she is just fine. I just find it so incredibly strange the reactions we have to things that we have no idea why. (Hmmm...maybe some suppressed memory from my own childhood of running on pavement, knocking out my teeth? Or maybe just a bad dream...who knows...)
No comments:
Post a Comment