Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bat, Sat, Hat...and Other Three Letter Words


There is something so rewarding about watching your children learn to read. And being a homeschool mom, I have had the wonderful experience of teaching my children such skills. Now that my little Lexy is 5, and in Kindergarten, I am reliving that joy all over again. It is so incredible to me to watch that little light bulb switch on when they begin to grasp the simple concepts. And then they just take off with it. I don't pride myself in all the "talents" my kids have, or all the knowledge they are full of...I am simply just an ordinary mom who has found joy in having my kids home with me so that I can teach them things they'll need later in life. I consider it more of a blessing rather than bragging rights. That being said, two of my girls have been fairly easy to teach to read. And one had required much more work. But when that light came on, she quickly caught up. It was a big learning time for myself, as well. I had to learn to not have certain expectations, and I had to learn patience. The less I pressured her, the quicker she seemed to progress. And now, as I sit every morning with Lexy and watch her go through her index card collection of 3-letter words, I am thankful. Thankful for healthy, happy children whom I have this incredible privilege and responsibility to teach life long lessons to.

No comments:

Post a Comment