This has been our life as of late. Honestly, our little family has been blessed with good health this winter. Minimal colds, no flu, and nary a rash or cough. Added benefits of homeschooling: they don't live in a petri dish. I hear tell that the schools are running rampant with nasty germ infestations. I'd prefer they keep them contained there.
However, this week seems to be the broken link in the healthy chain for us. We've been struck hard with the common cold. Except this one's not the real common one. It's the lay-on-the-couch/go-through-multiple-tissues/re-occurring-fever/post-nasal-nightly-drip/nose-dripping-down-my-chin/no-I'm-not-really-crying/hang-on-forever variation. You know...the kind of cold that really knocks you out for a while. We haven't had those kinds of colds for a while around here. Two of us have been hit hard, while three remain unscathed. So far.
Jillian and I have been couch buddies for a couple days now. She and I understand one another. We pass tissues, watch movies, suck on cough drops, skip church and complain about how sore underneath our noses are. (Reminder to self: invest in some lotion-filled tissues next time.) Sound pathetic? We kind of are. But it's okay.
For the past couple of days our family has lived on meals of eggs, soups and McDonald's (Hubs' contribution...and I must say I'm hooked on their shamrock shake...yummo.). Not that I'm too ill to cook. It's just a nice excuse for a break. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm taking full advantage.
Hubs so kindly compared my post nasal drip last night to when the cat is hacking up a fur ball. I can't help it. That feeling that wakes you from your slumber is terrible. Choking, coughing, gagging...it's a whole thing. Not pretty. Nor is it easy to be discreet or lady-like. I don't even attempt to make it look nice. It's just too much work.
Every day we're making a bit of progress. Which is good, because we need a few moments of recoup before the rest of the family receives the germs we've shared. 'Cause I have a sneaking suspicion it won't end with us...that's just the way these things go.
oh my word -- i would totally be on the couch with you and Jillian!! I hear ya -- Jason stayed home today 'cause i was feeling awful - and i did not argue one bit when he made supper! Milkin' it while it lasts...which, honestly...i'm hoping is not for much longer!! Feel better, you guys!!
ReplyDelete:( feel better! makenzie seems to be holding onto the cold part of it pretty good too. we have been veggin and snuggling! oh and how does that tea work?
ReplyDelete