Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Moldability"

I've had some random thoughts lately on "moldability". If that's even a word. Which, by chance, my spell check informs me indeed is not. But I roll to the words of my own dictionary, so I say it is.

Moldability: (verb) the ability to be flexible with whatever life happens or doesn't happen to bring...whichever the case. The short of it: adapting to life's twists and turns. (Taken from my very own personally-made dictionary.)

As we house-sit, I've spent some time pondering this thing of moldability and flexibility. I love a regular routine. The comfort of my own little life in my own little house. Each time we partake in a house-sitting gig, I'm reminded just how routine I really am. I'm completely out of my element here. Little sleep, cleaning up after dirty animals, living in a house that isn't mine, booking appointments, sleeping in a bed that isn't mine, and cooking in a kitchen where I'm not completely aware of where the sugar is. Truth be told, I can't wait to get back home. And the complete icing on the cake was losing power for a solid twenty-four hours yesterday into today. T'was fabulous. It made for an interesting night with double generators working hard to heat the house and the outbuilding kennel. No running water and I tend not to agree. Unless it's intentional....like camping. Even then I begin to melt down after day two. I awoke this morning feeling a bit like an Amazon woman. Although I am a self-proclaimed no-fuss kinda gal, I like me my showers. Daily preferably. Cleanliness is pretty much next to awesomeness. In my book. And to be perfectly honest, deep down inside I know during this particular test of moldability, I failed miserably. I wasn't enjoying it. In fact, I didn't like it at all. Not even one tiny little bit. It was a low point for me.

I find it interesting to study myself. "Self-ology?" Perhaps I created another new word there. Anyhow, it's really and honestly true. While going through my little mini-trauma yesterday (yes, I consider living in someone else's home with ten dogs, one cat, three kids and no running water trauma), I had plenty of time on my hands for some introspection. Physically, mentally and spiritually....I'm tired. I pondered my spiritual moldability. The Lord has moved in my heart lately in ways that I don't even understand. Non-conventional. Against the traditional flow, so to speak. My spiritual being has been made to be flexible. And yet there's still areas that I refuse to be moldable in. Mind-sets that need changing yet. Thought processes that could use some correcting. Years of training that needs to be re-done. Perhaps some rebellion that needs to be better tempered. (Is that a shocker?) It's one thing to say "Okay, Lord...change me." It's a whole other story to actually allow myself to bend and flex as He sees fit. Even through the unconventional, uncomfortable and unstable.

I am finding the more I give in and give up; the more moldable I become. Physically and spiritually speaking. I resigned myself this morning to a day of living like a Pioneer woman. Hauling buckets of water, sandwiches for every meal, cut off from the rest of the cyber world. And so, when the power flickered back on this afternoon, I'm pretty sure the entire street heard my shout of "WELL, PRAISE THE LORD!" I know I scared the dogs, at least. My physical moldability was granted a well-deserved rest. My spiritual moldability? Now that's something that will continually be worked on...

No comments:

Post a Comment