Today I decided to protest winter's reluctance to depart soon. I bundled up and stomped my way to the van, cleaned a few inches of snow off and drove the slippery street to our town office. I had spring business to attend to. (And taxes to pay..but I was far less excited about the latter of the two.)
A couple of years ago was when I first inquired about obtaining and raising chickens. We live in a small town; truly in the middle of nowhere. However, it is still considered residential living, and a flock of hens is frowned upon. After thorough inspection I found that our local ordinance did state that I could have two of any "small animal" housed outdoors, and so two hens were my choice. Peep and Cheep moved on in and have been gracing us with eggs ever since. But still...I fell in love with poultry raising and would have loved to house more. The eggs from two hens weren't quite enough for us. I decided (reluctantly) that I should comply with the powers that be and be thankful for the two I could have. Although, hiding hens in our "barage" (barn/garage) did cross my mind. A few times, in fact, if I were being fully truthful...
Last week that all changed. I just so happen to be browsing our zoning ordinances online, and to my delight learned that a new ordinance is now in place. Glory be...us "city folk" can now legally own six chickens! And so that is why I trompsed myself in to our town office in the middle of a snow storm. I had spring to plan for, and baby chicks to pick out. The town office was the first step in all of that.
I had to obtain this: (Yes, I do indeed have to fill out for a permit to own domestic chickens. Am I the only one whom finds this slightly funny?)
And our local feed store to order these:
And I'm super excited to set up this:
And if the snow ever ends we'll put it here:
And as for these girls? Well, they'll be re-locating to a sweet widow's home where they shall grace her with eggs a plenty. That way I don't have to watch them beat my new chickies up while trying to establish pecking order. I've heard tell that it can get quite nasty. I'm not up for that.
You can come any time, spring. I'm quite ready for you.
Ha ha ha about being in the middle of no where. Do you know where Atkinson is? That is actually where my grandparents live. I am glad that you are able to get more chickens.
ReplyDeleteOh what a FUN little eclectic assortment of girlies!!! TOO MUCH FUN!! I can't WAIT to come and meet your new little babies! Whoo-hoooo!!!
ReplyDelete