Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Craving

Now, before you judge, allow me to fully express that I know I'm not the only one. There are in fact others out there similar in breed to that of myself. They are women, just like me. And every so often they get a craving deep within their loins. Mothers whom miss kissing on chubby toes, miss Cheerios spread amidst the house (perhaps your picture brought on this craving, Amy?), miss the smell of fresh diapers. (Emphasis on the "fresh".) That's what I affectionately refer to as "the craving".

It happens every so often. I'm pretty sure it's instinctual and scientifically proven. It must have something to do with withering eggs, saggy ovaries, over-used fallopian tubes or something of the such. Some internal alarm clock that silently bellows out, "We're almost reaching retirement! Sound the alarm!" I'm pretty sure it's a proven fact. Either way, that craving has been a companion of mine all along this road of womanhood. Withering ovaries or not.


I first experienced the craving about a year after Hubs and I were wed. I tried every tactic known to the feminine wiles to talk him into beginning a family. Hubs is a slow, methodical, logical man, and so it took him some time to come around to indulge my craving. But he did. Repeatedly, in fact...hence the younger two.


Don't misunderstand...I truly do enjoy every path of this parenting journey I've taken. There's something special about my girls growing up and bonding with them in a whole new way that doesn't involve mastitis and dirty diapers. There's always positives and negatives to each stage of life. And I'm fully content at the stage I'm in. I'm glad they're growing up and experiencing new things constantly. That is how it is supposed to be. But still. There's just something about babies and toddlers that is simply so yummy. My girls aren't as appreciative of slobbery kisses and tush squeezes as they used to be. Understandably so.


This craving may occur well into my nineties, I'm afraid. Long after my lady parts have all shut down, run dry and hung out a "closed" sign. And I'm okay with that. Because if there are indeed no more babies to run around this house, I sincerely know that I'm overly blessed with the three I've been given. The craving is simply a wonderful reminder of just how much we enjoyed that stage in life. But still. Does anyone have a yummy chubby baby I can borrow just for a day? Promise I'll give it back before bedtime.

In honor of "the craving", here's a shout out to my adorable, yummy niece. Happy First Birthday, Makenzie!


Mmmm...yummy.

2 comments:

  1. I feel that craving, too...I'm sure I will until I die...I have a yummy, chubby toddler who would love your snuggles -- you guys must be deserving of a vacation to the Maritimes sometime soon, aren't you?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Kristi...I'd love to come visit you and snuggle on your yummy, chubby boy!! He IS rather delish! Who knows...maybe someday?! Keep the coffe pot on just in case I happen to show at your front door! :o) I think a NBBI reunion is in order...

    ReplyDelete