Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Down to the Nitty-Gritty

I'm not gonna lie...getting through school this morning was brutal. I've always stated that I absolutely adore homeschooling my three girls, and it's true; I do. However, I've also made the confession that it isn't always easy. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Or the easily frustrated. Or those with hypertension issues. Today was a perfect example. Here's how it went down...

It all began with the typical morning "getting ready" routine. You know, the brushing of the teeth, hair and getting dressed. Lexi, my youngest, detests this part of the day. Every day it seems to be a battle. She would much rather prefer living in her jammies with yellowed teeth and tussled hair. Although I do realize that is the style now-a-days, I'm not so much fond of that look. Upon the "get ready for the day" announcement, I was responded to with a "I'm not going to get dressed today, mom." (Little arms tightly folded. Lips firmly pressed closed.) Not so much my favorite response. (Cue my blood beginning to parboil.) And so I replied ever so kindly with an ultimatum. No clean clothes on the body, no Wii. She opted for the clothes. But not happily. After taking a full twenty minutes to clothe herself, she sat (rather roughly, might I add) up to the table to begin her school work. After a few minutes I glanced over to see her penmanship paper completely doodled with the word "NO". Completely bathed in the word. Even the cute little cow was apparently being made to say "no". Mr. Eraser got lots of use today.

After I completely exhausted myself of my youngest, I then moved on to check the work of my eldest. Only to find her hurriedly copying her spelling list. Another routine battle. Her paper turned out quite sloppy, as expected when one tries to rush through it. I insisted a re-copy was in order. To which I was responded to with giant tears and dramatic whining. That also just so happens to not be my favorite response. It went to a whole other level when I checked in on the penmanship assignment for the day. That was greatly lacking, as well. To her utter dismay, three whole words needed to be re-done. Which brought on a fresh batch of tears. Over THREE. WHOLE. WORDS. Sigh. You would think I run a tight ship around here. Which I truly don't. But I'm thinking of starting.

Jillian, my middle child, got stuck on Math while the other two were going through their emotional upheavals. Apparently she was having a brain hiccup today, for she couldn't remember if she needed to borrow to take six away from a three. For five whole minutes. I waited (I'd be lying if I put a "patiently" here) for her brain to reactivate and reset itself. It was a struggle. For both of us. The snowfall was unusually distracting outside the dining room window, which wasn't helping. I believe I began singing "Count Your Blessings Name Them One By One" in my head. Except it was the sarcastic version minus the sing-songy pleasantness. Don't judge...it's how I cope.

Snack time came and Lexi wasn't thrilled with her options. It was either popcorn, or popcorn. Turns out she didn't want popcorn today. She informed me very dramatically. Which earned her a well deserved temporary vacation on her bed. I was kind of jealous of her temporary vacation...I was secretly wishing someone would send me to my bed. Some days I dream of solitary confinement. Afterward she decided that popcorn was her new favorite snack. Go figure.

I'd like to blame the NFL and their brilliant idea of having the Superbowl so very late at night, but I'm pretty sure it's not a lack of sleep that affects them so. I could even blame the long, harsh winter and cabin fever. But I don't think that's entirely the problem either. I could eliminate sugar from their diet, make them take naps every day, become a stricter disciplinarian. But I'm fairly confident I'd be left with the same exact kids. Children are children are children. They're all learning self control, self discipline and maturity. (It just so happens I'm still learning these, as well...) Perfection is impossible. Every day is different; and every day is a challenge. Some days I'm up for a challenge and other's I'm ready to hang my ruler up. So to speak. No matter how difficult, though, I want to choose to see the humor and be grateful. It is a great life...it's just not always an easy one.

2 comments:

  1. Soooo, what you're telling me is, the tantrums and tears are NOT going to end any time soon?!?! Ahhhh....parenthood. its always leaving us with mixed emotions, isn't it?! Hope today is a pleasant surprise for you...

    ReplyDelete