They're so stinkin' cute. And we can say that 'cause we're their parents. (Every parent thinks their baby is the cutest, right?) I speak not of their looks, though. Their tiny-ness, little grunts and squeaks, greasy head fulls of hair, poop-a-licious heinies, pimply little faces, ever growing double-chins...cuteness. Stinkin' cuteness. Every moment is full of constant on-the-move, and daily I have to remind myself to slow and enjoy their littleness. It passes far too quickly, and I don't want to wish the time away...as exhausting as it is.
It's really quite interesting to watch their little personalities unfold. It would appear as though Chase is going to most likely be our little troublemaker.
He is almost always the first to wake up (even at night..he'll be bellowing out while brother sleeps quietly next to him), the most discontent when he wakes up, yet is the slowest to finish a bottle. He's the second-born (by a whole minute), the tiniest, yet the feistiest. In the hospital he pulled his own feeding tube out a grand total of seven times, while Cody didn't even once. Chase's hands are always moving, and he's always the first to break out of his swaddle. At birth he was 5 lb. 3 oz. and today, a month later, he weighed in at 7 lb. 2 oz. Still just a little guy. But with cheeks a-growing. Another one of his special tricks he enjoys is spraying urine whenever his little man-parts are exposed. For some strange reason I haven't learned yet. I always think I can diaper him faster than he can pull this trick on me...and he continually proves me wrong. Lexi was his last victim. And she was about two feet away, even.
The girls find this trick quite amusing. Especially when it makes momma scream in utter surprise. Every time. And giggle, does he ever love to giggle. In his sleep, of course. I'm pretty sure he's mostly laughing at the memories of me shrieking in horror as he sprays me head to toe. This is one smart, sneaky baby we have on our hands here, folks.
Cody seems to be pretty happy-go-lucky for the most part.
I have a feeling if it weren't for his brother he would be sleeping quite nicely at night. Chase enjoys waking to eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and almost every time I answer his beckoning, Cody is fast asleep. However, since we're working hard at keeping them on the same schedule, we wake Cody and feed him too. He's never once refused milk. Which leads me to the second part of his personality. Man, can that little guy down a bottle like no ones business!! And his ever-growing chubby face is proof! This kid is getting large quickly! I affectionately call him "Chubba Bubba". I'm doubtful the name will stick, though...we really don't want to give the poor fella a complex. At birth he was 5 lb. 12 oz., and today he weighed in at 8 lb. 2 oz. He loves to be swaddled, and tends to be a bit jumpy if he's not. I constantly tell him that I promise I won't drop him...but this seems to bring him little comfort. He also seems to be the really gassy one. The guy can rip one off better than most adults I know. Which can be embarrassing, due to the fact that some people may think you're just quick to blame the baby. But I swear. It's always the baby. (For the most part.)
I know this sounds strange, but it's still sinking in. We have two babies. Two boys. Three girls. Five children. After Hubs and I lay the twins down for the night I just sit back and stare in amazement. Two babies in one bed. Creation of life IS truly amazing. And two? Simply astounding. These two creatures came from me. Both at the same time. I often get told the same thing from complete strangers: "Better you than me." And I often wonder why the negative connotation. I usually can't resist from responding, "Yes! It is!" very enthusiastically. It's really not a curse. In fact, I think of it as a blessing.
Quite a blessing indeed.
oh my soul, they are so sweet, Rachael. what a blessing, is right. oh, i was so afraid i would never get to be a mama...and i am just so happy to have my own two little boys (almost 4 years apart!!) -- and they do change and grow so quickly...what a wonderful thing to have a family - a large one!! oh my word, i can't believe you have 5 kids!!! so crazy. and so awesome. i think of you often. i hope i can meet those little boysies. much love to ya!
ReplyDeleteJust so you know, I am DYING to get over there to see you and your bundles. Oh my word. I am chomping at the big. They are SO delicious!!! But, Ransom has a runny nose, so I am being a responsible friend and staying away. Maybe next week? PLEEEEEEEZE?
ReplyDelete