I'm rabbit-trailing now. Back to my sinful, sleep-deprived, discontented self. Once the boys awoke at six this morning for yet another premature feeding, I dragged my sorry self out of bed. My countenance looked about at pretty as my sad, sad bed-head, no doubt. I let Hubs rest up while I prepared bottles, scooped up the Twins of Mass Destruction, cleaned their dirty britches and proceeded to feed their hungry little mouths...with my eyes firmly closed. I chose to forgo the whole burping session, rolled them back in bed and proceeded to do the same myself. When I awoke for the day a short hour later, my discontentment awoke alongside me. I decided to let it be my companion for a short while today. (Never a good choice.) Even my morning coffee couldn't shake it's negative effects. My interactions with my children were increasingly short. Patience seemed limited. And grace became optional. All I could think about was crawling back into my warm, cozy bed and burrowing down...for about a month. Perhaps no one would look for me there.
Since the boys kept us up all night, I decided I shall keep them up all day...thus thwarting any planned escapades they may have for tonight. It works in theory, right? After a morning of school, poopy diapers, sleep-deprived boys and many warmed bottles of milk, I decided to reward myself with a ten minute tea time. I do love my tea...it's a runner-up to coffee for me. One particular brand of tea I have comes with these little one-liners attached to the bag. Little nuggets of wisdom to ponder. Usually they're quite corny. But every time I have to read them. Without fail. It's kind of like your horoscope or fortune cookies...I don't believe a word they say, but it's always interesting to have a gander. Besides, these days one complete sentence tends to be a lot for this pathetic momma to process. Contemplating my tea bag wisdom is the most challenge this brain of mine receives lately. Sad. But true.
This particular time the one-liner was an eye-opener. I even paused to read it twice.
Grace indeed DOES bring contentment. Grace DID bring contentment to the fatigued, hopeless world so long ago. Grace STILL WILL conquer discontentment. Daily. Had I forgotten? Ought I choose to live in the present moment of circumstances? Shall I rely on my tired body and brain to determine my actions and attitudes?
A small voice inside this tired, discontented soul silently shrills out, "no!"
And the more I ponder the statement it grows. Louder and stronger, "No, No!"
As I practice contentment in thankfulness it shrieks out louder still, "NO! NO! NO!"
Then I dig in His Word and am reminded all of what grace has DONE, IS DOING and CONTINUES TO DO it refuses to be silenced!
"NO, NO, NO...A HUNDRED TIMES NO!!"
I choose not to forget, to live beyond circumstances, to rely on more than just self. Daily I shall strive to choose grace. To choose joy and thankfulness. Contentment isn't the goal, it's the reward.
Who would have thought God could use a tea bag and the three little words it contains?
oh, Rach....and stupid me, had to post about MY babe sleeping for such a looong time. sorry. it didn't happen today, if that helps. hahaha. it WILL GET BETTER!!! take it from me...my babe is only a few months older than your boys, and already I am feeling better sleep...those beggining months are soooo hard. I would be dreaming of nursing and waking up, so I could never really tell the difference between reality and dreaming...so weird, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteman, i can relate...and i only have ONE little mouth to feed.
i think of you often and hope you will find your day today a little better than yesterday...its so hard, i know...every day brings its own joys and challenges. good grief, its not easy....
hang in there, Mama. i hope those boys will soon be able to give you guys some rest!
much love...
AMEN!!!!!!!! I cannot say it loud enough!! Did you hear me from there?? That was an awesome post! God is SO gracious to help us out of our funks and even use a tea tag to get us to where we need to be. You were willing to be moved, that is the key to where you went with the whole quote and then on to God's word! I think you should put it in a nice font and frame that saying!
ReplyDeleteHave a JOY filled day! You are an inspiration in so many ways. Wish I lived closer but I don't so I will pray
ReplyDeleteAwesome Post!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are an awesome mom and a great example of how to live to those around you!
I do hope your getting more sleep :)
I don't complain if I am a little tired - I now think - there is no way I am as tired as Rachael with the twins :)
Hey girly - i sent you an email...just wanted you to know on here incase you're not a frequent email checker! Hope you're having a great day!
ReplyDelete