It was perhaps the longest drive that ever has been. I wanted so badly to simply be home. After almost five weeks, much had already changed. The grass is green, trees have budded, flowers have long bloomed. And I have missed the arrival of spring to our cozy home. But not without good reason. Our boys are happy, healthy and safe.
Our first night was...well...interesting. In the hospital they would quietly sleep the day away. Every four hours they would begin to stir, and so I would finish waking them so they could feast on milk and continue to grow. I just naturally assumed that was their night-time routine, as well. Turns out it is not. The night nurses failed to fill me in. At 9:00pm I fed their little mouths and waited for them to grow sleepy. And waited. After much protesting about their new accommodations, they finally grew weary by midnight.
(Hubs and I were weary long before then.) I drifted off to sleep, thinking of how much I missed the NICU nurses. Just a short couple hours later a raucous of cries erupted from down the hall. In stereo, none the less.The boys were awake and hungry. Again. After complying to their demands, a very dopey Hubs and I crawled back in bed. (Hubs has never, I repeat, never had to get up and feed our other children. He has determined that we're in this together this time...for better or worse. I'm really hoping for better. And soon.) We're quickly getting good at the whole double-teaming thing.
This cycle repeated every couple of hours until daylight. My boys seem to have become creatures of the night. Good thing they're so darn cute.
Today has been a fog of repetitious feeding, diapering, burping, bathing, and other miscellaneous things. To keep myself awake I have been busy organizing. It seems as though nothing has been within reach when I've needed it today. I quickly decided to remedy that. I'm also becoming rather talented at multi-tasking. Simply out of sheer necessity more than anything else. Hubs finds my new mad skills amusing.
And, in the down time of the day I'm enjoying staring at these little fellas. I'm still amazed they both came from me. Still amazed we have two babies. Still amazed our family now has little boys. Who would have though? Twenty-one days later...it's still all sinking in...
You my dear are AMAZING!! SO glad I checked the blog tonight! I'm So happy they are home where they belong! Love the pic of them in the crib, they both had their heads the same direction! Praying that the nights get better. Why do babies always do better at the hospitals?
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed!!! Look at you feeding one and burping the other!!! You are a great Mama! So glad your home and can be altogether.... Hope you get some sleep soon :)
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel, This is so amazing! I am so happy to be able to read your blog again. Your family is truly blessed.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful boys! Glad to see you are home and adjusting! Definitely will be praying for some more sleep for all. Marliese
ReplyDelete