Friday, May 25, 2012

My Itching Green Thumb

The snow is long departed, the grass is lush and green. The sun warms the earth and night-time frost is becoming a distant memory. That can only preclude one grand event: the planting of the garden!
I usually am a rule-follower and adhere to the age-old tale of waiting to plant the garden until Memorial Day. But this year I'm feeling a bit risky. And brave. The garden went in a whole week early. (Insert large, over-exaggerated gasp here.) A few months ago I had no idea if a garden was in our plans this season. And the way my rather large and sore body was feeling at the time, I would have without a doubt staged a protest against any digging in the dirt. However...time has a grand way of changing our minds. (Exhibits A and B: babies #4 and 5.) And now the dirt, the sun and the great outdoors beckons to me.
When things began greening and budding the itch began. It's hard to turn down fresh lettuce and peas; spinach and green beans. I have so enjoyed my hand at veggie-farming the past few years. Last summer I boasted of daily salads for lunch. And I guarantee that was no exaggeration. I LOVE me my fresh salad. It tastes even better when you've grown and hand-picked it yourself. It's true. And so, after some deliberate whining and begging, Hubs was overwhelmed with compassion for me and tilled my garden twice...just the way I like it. Such a good boy, he is.

Not only did he do the tilling, but I also talked him into watching the Double Trouble Team while I enjoyed a few moments in the sun to sow some seeds. It was glorious. And I completely took my sweet ol' time. It was a good trade-off, though...my quiet time gardening for his fishing trip. A win-win situation, if you ask me. We're all about the bargaining these days.

And so, if my efforts pay off, it won't be long before we're feasting on salads and green beans, peas, cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and summer squash. (Okay...so the last two planted were solely for me, since I'm the only one who appreciates them. I shall surely have my belly's fill.)

Next month's mission...to mosey on over to my neighbors rhubarb patch and see what's shakin'. Last year's strawberry-rhubarb jam supply is running dangerously low...

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed our visits to your house this weekend! Praying for sleep for you all! haha--Marliese

    ReplyDelete