Have you ever been homesick for a place you've never been to? Or maybe it's just homesickness for the people who are there...I guess technically that wouldn't be called "homesick", then, would it? Maybe what I should say is that I'm "people-sick". There. I made a new word. Again. Albeit not a very good sounding one. I'm not sick of people, just homesick for people. Hence the name "people-sick". Wow. (Have I confused you yet?) All those amazing thoughts...even after a morning of homeschooling, and an afternoon of grocery shopping. Sometimes I am just plain genius.
Okay, all nonsense wording aside, I am plain ol' missing my older sister and her family. Her loud, energetic, rowdy boys...with their toothless grins, mischievous laughs, and giant, wrap around your body monkey hugs. Their sticky, marshmallow faces and orange, cheesy fingers. And, of course, that yummy plump little girly girl that is growing far too fast for those of us that live far away to keep up. My brother in law with his dry humor that is somehow funny to me. And my sister. My beautiful sister who manges to stay that way, and yet manage a small house full of boogers, diapers, tears, scrapes, fights, potty training (don't go there, though...it's a rough road), and now a turtle. Bless her soul. I adore the fact that even though we're about 907 miles apart (I map-quested it) she can still understand me, and I can still understand her. Our lives are very different, yet so similar. If that makes any sense.
As sisters, our relationship is really quite humorous to me. We are two years apart, and shared a bedroom together as little girls for as long as I can remember. And we truly did have a love/hate relationship. As kids we absolutely loved to hate each other. No kidding. We couldn't get along for five minutes straight. That's just how it was. When we were getting along, we were usually up to no good. (We did share our first candy shoplifting adventure together at a very early age.) There were more cat fights than I can recall. She was the queen at stating the obvious (even if it hurt), and I was the master at instigation. A perfect partnership for trouble. Thankfully, in our early adult years, we realized we needed each other more than we thought. We are so blessed to have birthed our babies so close together; and continue to share the ups and downs of motherhood and wifehood. I can't think of anyone else that I'd dial when I'm at the end of my rope; or when I have the best, funniest story to tell ever. She is my lifeline and confidant.
A couple of years ago her little family of five moved away to do what the Lord was calling them to. They since have expanded their family to six, and now await to see where God wants to move their family to now. (I've thrown out a few suggestions to Him, although I'm not sure if my choices match His...time will tell.) Their obedience despite circumstances speaks volumes of their faith. Life has taken a complete turn around for them. From a glass house view, you'll see a couple who used to be self-reliant is now reliant daily on Christ. You'll see a family who had their best laid out plans for their future changed...willingly. A family who no doubt has grown stronger and closer in the face of adversity...not in prosperity. You'll see a mom and wife who has given more and more of herself for the sake of her her husband and children. A dad whom has become more hands-on than most fathers I know. And happy children who know they are safe and loved. A simply beautiful family.
Anyways, back to me and my "people-sickness". The last time our two families were together was last summer. About 9 months ago. That's a long time when you have small children that are constantly growing and changing. And when I talk with my sister on the phone and hear the voices and cries of her little ones in the background, I'm reminded yet again that I'm missing them all. (Last time we were on the phone, her 3 year old wanted to chat with me...he then proceeded to tell me all the "naughty words that we aren't allowed to say". Quite comical when the worst of them were: stupid, poop, and "shu' 'up"...spoken with slight southern drawl...)
Fifteen hours of driving sure is a long time. And gas isn't cheap these days. If it weren't for those two minor little setbacks, I'd be packed up and in the van already. So, for now, I have all these little plans and schemes running rampid in my mind.
I just may have to take a road trip...
No comments:
Post a Comment