Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Little Thing Named "Blankie"

Change is 'bout to come in our household. I'm just warning you now...'cause in a few months time there may be great wailing and gnashing of teeth heard around the world. And all the commotion will be due to this little, soft, yet extremely powerful pink piece of cloth.



It is Lexy's "Blankie", and best friend. It has been a member of our immediate family for the past almost 6 years. It has been everywhere that we have been...with the exception of one or two places. (To which we severely regretted forgetting it at home....and, yes, we did suffer consequences for our forgetfulness.) It has been christened with tears, blood, chocolate, ketchup and even a booger or two...or seven hundred and two. Give or take. It has been snipped, clipped and rebinded. And it has been washed a grand total of about ten times. Ten long, whiny, tearful times. (I think I have suffered during these washings and dryings more than she has.) I had the misfortune and absence of mind to hang Blankie on the line to dry once. It was a sad day to watch her crying from the ground below, arms reached high, wailing, "BLANKIE!!!!" Even the clothesline was begging for her to stop in the end. I since have learned to carefully sneak Blankie into the laundry when she is distracted. Even then, her invisible umbilical cord to the thing is only so long. She always senses a disturbance in the Blankie force.


But, as with all things in life, the time for change has come. Er...is on it's way, at least. I made the big decree yesterday. As of June 17th, 2010; Blankie will permanently reside on top of Lexy's bed. (As all other Blankie's in our house do.) No exceptions. (Well, that's what I said, anyway, but between you and I...there's always a few exceptions to the rule. But shhh...keep that on the down-low.) My decree was responded to with whining and a bit of mini-convulsing. (Lexy thinks shaking her body all over in anger will somehow deter me from decisions she doesn't like.) However, that is why I declared this ruling two and a half months in advance. Plenty of preparation time. This time last year, I made the decree that Blankie was no longer allowed at church, stores, or other public outings. After a few weeks time, Blankie stopped begging to go everywhere with us. It stayed quietly at home and kept the dog company.


All my girls have been very attached to their blankies. And with all of them we strategically, but ever so gradually, eliminated their blankets in everyday use. Now it's "the baby's" turn. She is not quite as responsive to the idea as I'd like. Probably because we've delayed it the longest with her. Yes, I accept full blame. The monster created is all mine. But, alas, the countdown to June is on. And she's not fond of my reminders. So, if in June you hear some strange and shrill wails, rest assured that Bankie has made it's way to it's permanent residence.

P.S. As I am finishing up typing this, Lexy approaches me with a question very fitting to my post: "Mom...where's Blankie?"
Withdrawal may be more difficult than originally suspected. Plan B? Let her drag it around until she gets married.

No comments:

Post a Comment