Valentine's Day. Bouquets of flowers, cherry chocolates, candles, kisses and romantic evenings alone. (This was all before children, of course.) It's a strong possibility that
Valentine's Day of 1999 may be responsible for the existence of my first child...her birthday's in November; you do the math. But that's a whole other story, anyhow; one that I'm pretty sure I won't be posting any time soon...
Focus now. Flash forward to the present.
Valentine's Day. Bouquets of flowers (let's hope they don't get knocked over by the end of the day), cherry chocolates (fingers crossed that they won't stick on my hips like glue), candles (good for covering up critter urine scent, and the lingering odor of the trash...which needs to be taken out...very soon), kisses (while nearby children exclaim, "EWWW!") and romant....er...scratch that....evenings alone (with the occasional interruption of a child needing to use the bathroom, get a drink of water, or just to see what mom and dad are up to). This is now Valentine's Day after being blessed with fertility. Not that I'm complaining, I love the fact that we now have little girls to shower with chocolates and kisses! But as I think back to Valentine's Day of the past, life has taken on some pretty drastic changes!
This year, Valentine's Day has been...
...welcomed by pink pancakes with chocolate chips for breakfast. (Because what girl doesn't like pink pancakes?)
...sitting on the couch, watching "Thumbelina" with my sick five year old while she eats tiny little balls of frozen ice cream. (Otherwise known as "the breakfast of champions for sick kiddos".)

...a festive lunch crated by yours truly (which consisted of heart-shaped meat, cheese, toast and fruit, dipping sauces on the side, of course); followed by a traditional "Sunday afternoon nap".

...an annual family "Valentine Chocolate Hunt" was on dock for the afternoon. (Similar to an Easter egg hunt...just switch the plastic eggs for wrapped chocolates and there ya have it. Aren't we just 100% pure genius?) As a side note, we still have one chocolate gone rogue. (My opinion is and will stand that hubs devoured it while the children were busy ransacking the house...)

...and for dinner a very sweet hubs picked up Chinese food. No picture will be included, for obvious reasons. Let's just say it was yummy and I was hungry. End of story.
Even though we ended up at home with a sick little one and things didn't go as planned (do they really ever with children?), it was a nice Valentine's Day spent with the ones I love. Who knows? Maybe I'll even get a smooch or two when the kids go to bed...
No comments:
Post a Comment