Friday, February 5, 2010

"Dripping with Little Girls"

This past week I spontaneously decided to take the girls to the local theatre to watch a play from the movie "Annie". Now, I say spontaneously because in fact it was. Fifteen minutes before the show began I was frantically stuffing boxes of raisins and packages of crackers in my purse, hoping that would buy me some time until it was over. In a matter of three minutes flat, my scraggly-haired, mismatched, teeth unbrushed, half confused girls and I were in the van. (No, I didn't look so hot myself.) In order to make things happen, sometimes ya just gotta do it last minute. That's just how I roll.
So, after our three minute scuffle, 3 minute drive, we arrived...anxious to take in all that our $2.00 tickets could offer. And I must say, for $2.00 a ticket, it was well worth it. Adorable children pranced about stage, the famous "Annie" musical songs were sung, and there was even a live dog that obediently played his role. And then came my favorite part. Miss Hannigan. [Said in deep, hushed, reverence type voice.] Now, when I had watched the movie in my younger years, I honestly and truly feared this woman. I think I prayed, faithfully, every night for a week straight that I would never, ever become an orphan. That Miss Hannigan was pure evil. In my mind she and the Wicked Witch of the West were most definitely sisters. However, on this particular day, I began to see her in a whole new light. I mean, honestly, you have to have at least an itty bitty amount of sympathy for the woman. She did, in fact, live with an awful amount of little girls. As she began her song, "Little Girls", a smile crept across my lips. Had I NEVER, EVER listened to these lyrics before now? Maybe in my younger years I was far too busy hating her to actually notice what she was saying. But then...in my seat...something began stirring within me. I began to feel a bit of a connection to her, a bit of compassion for her as she boldly sang.....(in a most jazzy, swanky voice)

"Little girls, little girls, everywhere I turn I can see them. Little girls, little girls, night and day I eat, sleep and breathe them. I'm an ordinary woman with feelings. I'd like a man to nibble on my ear...but I'll admit, no man has bit...So how come I'm the mother of the year?
Little cheeks, little teeth, everything around me is little. If I wring little necks, surely I will get an acquittal. Some women are dripping with diamonds, some women are dripping with pearls. Lucky me! Lucky me! Look what I'm dripping with....little girls! Some day I'll land in the nut house, with all the nuts and squirrels. There I'll stay, locked away til' the prohibition of....little girls."

I have days where I feel like that. And I only have three little girls. Miss Hannigan...if you're reading this...I so get you now.

No comments:

Post a Comment