Monday, November 16, 2009
Thoughts About Suffering
I like the story of Job. I am so glad that God chose to put his life down in history. I don't know anyone in this day and age that can relate to him, although, I've seen many people try. They off-handedly say "Gee...I feel like Job". Wow. I'm not so sure about that. Job lost literally everything. In this day and age, I know there's a lot of suffering. Suffering in relationships, marriages, loss of loved ones, infertility, anxiety, abandonment. And, not to diminish their pain, but I still haven't found anyone that has had it as bad as Job. This man lost his possessions, his children, his health, the support from his friends, the admiration of his wife, his joy, and temporarily his hope in God. I have no idea why God chose to allow Satan to do those things. But I do know He uses all suffering for His glory..the good and the bad. Job was so bold in his conversations with God. So angry. So depressed. So.....human. I think sometimes we forget that God is patient with our "human-ness". He created us, knows us and loves us. Ugly and all. He was so patient with Job. I like chapter 38...He simply tells Job..."Have you forgotten who I am?" And goes on to remind him that HE IS the ALMIGHTY. I LOVE Job's reply...."I am nothing. I will cover my mouth with my hand. I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say." Holy. I have been there. Challenging God with "Why me?" and "I need to understand this, God!". And his reply has always been the same. "Trust me. I am God." And His ways have ALWAYS been better than mine. I find the end of Job's story to be an amazing testimony to God's love and mercy. God blessed him and restored what was taken from him. Except he gave him twice as much. The Bible goes on to say "The Lord blessed Job in the second half of his life even more than in the beginning." He doubled his losses. His possessions, his children, his life. And the story ends with "...he lived to see 4 (wow!) generations....then he died, an old man who had lived a long, FULL life." Anyone can live long...but it takes the grace of God to live it "full". I have no idea how long Job's suffering went on...or how long God will choose for each of our trials to last. But I DO know that if we keep our eyes on Him, he wants to bless us when it's over....twice as much.
Labels:
spiritual thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment