Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Vacation

Home. There's no place like it. Our vacation was lovely, but passed by far too fast. A week seemed like two days. And much work was waiting for us upon our return to home base. Animal habitats needed cleaning, the lawn needed mowing. Garden weeds were rapidly taking over and peas were bulging from within their pods. Lettuce to cut, raspberries to pick, pool to filter out, laundry to catch up on. Chickens begging to stretch their legs outside their coop. The past two days have been full. But every bit worth it.

Our week at camp is such a sacred retreat. From life; from noise; from television, computers and telephones. I decidedly came to the conclusion that I totally could live the primitive lifestyle. No make-up, no fancy hair-do's, no elegant clothing. Perhaps no clothing at all. Happily. If only the rest of the world would so oblige...it could be a pretty awesome thing. And yet a tad bit scary. In my opinion.

We've vacationed up to our quiet family hide-away for four years now; and this was the first year that the weather completely welcomed us with open arms. Every day contained the warmth of the sun and a peaceful lake was spread before us. We swam, we canoed, we boated, we ate. We slept (little), laid in the sun, fished, explored, shopped, dined, caught crayfish, spent time with friends and played card games. It's always a slice of heaven here on earth. And so, this week I shall share pictures and stories from our week at camp. 'Cause now that we're home, there's just not that much going on. Well, not much note-worthy, anyway. Just the regular summer stuff. Swimming, laundry blowing in the breeze, and lots of sweating. But no one cares to see pictures of that. Am I right?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome home. Glad to hear you had a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vacations are sweet...I ache for a vacation like yours...I did love ours, but ours are more about visiting and seeing everyone than relaxing as a little family...I am determined to do that, though, before Baby #2 arrives..at least for a few days...its my goal. I am sorry we didn't get to see you while we were in Maine...ugh - we do not give ourselves enough time...but...we always are excited to get home, at the same time. can't win!! haha. can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories of your vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete