Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Camp Life...Sunrise and Sunset

If I could sum up why I love our family camp so very much in one word (and I am, indeed, in love...if there was ever any question) it would be: solace. I enjoy being part of the busy world that we live in. I'm appreciative of the modern technology that adds to the ease of every day living. However, I also do believe in taking time to get away and "be one with nature". So to speak. In the hustle bustle we often miss the presence of God manifested within the simplicity of His creation. Every flower; every blade of grass; every pebble, rock and mountain; puddle, lake and ocean...spoken into existence. Every where you look are quiet whispers of "Look! I did this all for you!" And if you're still...if but even for a moment...those whispers can be easily seen.

My most favorite part of the day on the lake would most definitely be morning and evening. Sunrise and sunset. The colors He displays are magnificent. Such a small yet powerful display of his creation. Early in the morning I would take my cup of camp-brewed coffee on the dock and watch the stillness of the lake. The calm of the morning. So peaceful and serene. No wonder Christ awoke early to spend time in solitary commune (Mark 1:35). And every evening as the sun would set and the moon would rise, I was once again reminded of God's amazing handiwork. Long after the girls were tucked in their beds Hubs and I would fish off the dock together or sit and discuss life...all underneath a fully moon-lit sky. It was gorgeous. Almost breathtaking. I often forget this happens every single day...this sunrise and sunset. The revolution of the earth is just simply expected...seldom appreciated. It's a simple thing, really...but one that I found full joy in.

No comments:

Post a Comment