Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ringing In the New Year

I've decided that this year I'm going to decrease my buns.
It sounds like a reasonable thing to do, no? Even Hub's eyes got real big when he saw my buns earlier today. We all have our issues in some area. Mine just so happens to be my rather large buns. It certainly is something that demands my attention and if you don't agree...let me show you a photo as proof.
Wait for it....

There. Proof. My buns are in fact far too large. Cinnamon buns, that is. Just what were you thinking?
I found this fabulous recipe for Christmas morning (cinnamon buns are a traditional Christmas breakfast for us); and after we tried it, we all fell for my new and improved buns. I have always used a family favorite recipe for cinnamon buns...and they sure are good. They're more of a tea-biscuit type of roll, and I really adore the yeasty kind. And the real bonus? This new recipe has a box of yellow cake mix in it. The culmination of yeast and cake mix is pretty much one of the grandest inventions ever. Delectable. Try it for yourself if you're not sold...but be warned. This recipe will yield a truck load of ginormous buns. Figuratively and literally speaking. Trust me. When you shape them, keep in mind that they'll rise quite well. When you eat them, keep in mind where all those carbs are going. Unless of you course you're into huge buns. Some people just favor that sort of thing. Figuratively and literally.
Now....get off your buns and make these buns! No bun intended....(okay, I'm sure it's getting pretty old by now...such a potty mouth I am.)
Rachael's Fantastically Large Cinnamon Buns (alright, so I made up the name of the recipe..and technically it's not even mine, anyway. I couldn't help myself.)
  • 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
  • 2 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 package yellow cake mix (I used sugar-free cake mix and it came out great)
  • 6-8 cups flour (Both times I've made it I've needed about 8 cups)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, soft
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. white sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
Dissolve yeast in water in large bowl for 3 minutes. Add cake mix, 1 cup flour, eggs, oil and salt; beat well. Stir in remaining flour until soft dough forms. Knead for 5 minutes. Let rise in warm place for about one hour. Then divide dough in two and roll out one portion into rectangle. Spread with softened butter and sprinkle with sugars and cinnamon. Repeat with second dough ball. Cut about 1 inch thick and lay in baking pans. Allow to rise again until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, depending on your thickness. Baking will vary, depending on how big your buns are, so watch closely. The buns in the oven, that is. (This recipe made 23 LARGE cinnamon buns...each one is about five inches in diameter...so invite the neighborhood over when you make 'em.)
For frosting, you can do a simple icing or glaze, but I much rather prefer a cream cheese icing on mine. It really gave it that yummy Cinnabon taste. Enjoy your big buns!

No comments:

Post a Comment