...My house is in utter disarray. From attic to basement. All. Week. Long.
And that's okay, because it's all for the greater good. We're being "winterized". Old insulation is being ripped and pulled, cracks are being foamed in, and new insulation installed. We have insulation dust in every crack and crannie of our home, as well as all our bodies. It's glorious. (Amy...I know you feel my pain.) This week we have shared our home with two complete strangers. They have seen every corner and dust bunny of our home. Including the long lost dirty panties behind the clothes dryer. Amongst many other goodies. Ma-In-Law routinely pulls out her stove and cleans behind it. I'm sure she does her washer and dryer as well. I think that's pretty much amazing. Because my cleaning policy has always been, "Out of sight...out of mind." Until, of course, the construction guys come in and pull it out for you. You were right after all, Dolly. Should've cleaned behind it.
One of the workers showed up super early the other morning. Hubs was gone, and the girls were watching yet another episode of Little House on the Prairie. I was in the shower. With the bathroom door open. When I heard a strange man's voice say, "Good morning!" I was slightly terrified knowing that the only thing that was separating us was an embroidered, thin shower curtain. Turns out he's a gentleman. He nervously hollered back "Umm...I'll be right down in the basement." I made him cookies that day. And made it a point to shower earlier the next.
I've come to the conclusion that I need to stop baking treats for these construction workers. I have a theory about that. The longer I supply them with sugar and coffee, the longer they're going to stick around. But that's okay...as long as they keep doing a good job and apologizing for the pounds and pounds of dirt and insulation dust their trompsing around my house. Besides, one of them has quite a lovely singing voice that my girls have grown attached listening to while doing school. "Highway To Hell" drifted its way up my basement stairs yesterday. Hadn't heard that one in a very long time. I'm pretty sure my girls never had. It's a bit of an educational experience.
Our construction workers tell us they'll be finishing up tomorrow. And then next week the insulation guys are going to come and present our home with all new insulation. I'm sure there will be more dust. And mess. But I shall supply them with coffee and sweets. And maybe I'll pull out my clothes dryer and show them how clean and neat it is behind there. I sure hope one of them sings really well...
hahaha -- i love the way you write, Rachael -- so entertaining!! :) I think i keep a pretty tidy/clean house - but, i assure you, i have all kinds of goodies behind my washer, dryer, stove...etc...a sweet little old house I live in, but..not near enough storage, so...those goodies are crammed in every space possible. ugh. not my favorite, but..what can ya do?! :)
ReplyDeleteoh goodness. you poor dearie. spring cleaning early for you, too! I love the part about the undies!!!! sooo funny! yuckadoo job, but hopefully the dirty deed is now done! love you my friend.
ReplyDelete