Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rite of Passage

When our girls were young we had no set ages for monumental things that were to occur. Rites of passage, as it were. Things like make-up use, dating, and things of such nature.

We still have no system set up. We're kind of going with the flow and taking these things as they come. I think it would be rather ignorant of us to assume we know what is best for them far before it's time for us to know. And each girl is so very unique.
We have, however, let the girls decide for themselves when the time is right to get their ears pierced. Kaytlin, our oldest, began begging us from the time she was four for earrings. We decided that when she could stop sucking her thumb she could be have big girl things like that. So the goal was set. If she could go two whole weeks without needing her thumb (during the day-time) than she could get her ears pierced. That little girl was determined. But the habit was hard to kick. (My girls have all been hopeless thumb addicts.) Finally, when she was five, she proved herself and off to Walmart we went. Fully aware and educated of the pain that was to occur, she still wanted those sparkly earrings put in her ears. She bravely blinked the tears away and was tickled pink with her newly fashioned ears. And as a bonus, she had kicked her day-time addiction.
Jillian, our second-born, was a whole other story. She's not quite as fru-fru when it comes to girly things, and so earrings were not an enticement for quite a long time. She wanted them, but wasn't willing to go through the pinch-and-burn it took to get them. Finally, at seven years old, she decided it was worth it. Into the local hairdresser we went, and she very bravely received her sparkly earlobes.
Alexis, the third, was quite adamantly against them. No way, no how was she going to put holes in her ears. She's a bit of a scaredy cat about things. Most things, in fact. Strangers, dark places, the sight of blood, teeth falling out and ear piercings. All are equal on the scale of fear to her. All rank as "highly terrifying" in her book. When we travel to town, as a joke, we quite often will ask, "What do ya think, Lex...is today the day?" To which she has always responded with a quick, sharp "Nope!" Until yesterday. Apparently she's working on a newer, improved braver self. (She even asked Hubs to pull a tooth out the other night which wasn't quite loose enough...a real shocker in our home.) Yesterday the answer I received from the back of the van (in a tiny little voice) was, "I think so, mom!" I almost ran off the road in utter shock. I kept my cool and remained neutral as I explained yet again how it would go down. When we reached Walmart we marched right to the jewelry counter and filled out all necessary paperwork. Lexi picked out her earrings (oh, as of late she has asked to spell her name with an "i" rather than a "y", in case you were concerned that I may be a schizophrenic speller) and patiently waited for the ladies to get ready. Panic hit slightly when she saw the guns come out of their boxes. Tears began rolling. She still pressed on. She sat in my lap, and the earrings were put in. With one little "OW!" the deed was done. And Lexi had a beautiful pair of sparkly, colorful flowers glimmering from her ears. She was so ecstatic at how brave she was. Possibly even more excited than about getting the earrings, she was truly proud of herself. She couldn't wait to get home to surprise daddy, whom had no idea. Hubs was rather shocked himself.

That's one rite of passage complete for all three of my girls, and many more to come...

P.S. "Jessica D....now B."! If you're still reading this-Of course I remember you! I just only found your comment the other day...thanks for your sweet words. I tried to locate your blog, but wasn't able to. I'd love to catch up with you and see how you are!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a blog. I used to but then I didn't write about anything so I closed it. However, when I get back from our vacation I think I will start one up again. My Lexi (Alexia) doesn't want her ears pierced either. She is 5 and like the look of them but doesn't want the pain from them.

    ReplyDelete