Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Gettin' Schooled

Our school year began again today. We have a seventh grader (big stuff!), a sixth grader and a third grader. I would be lying if I said I didn't have any anxiety at all about starting school back up. 'Cause I do. Big time. And for good reasons. First, the addition of two needy babies. And second, the girls decided they wanted to go back to book-only curriculum. The past few years we've used a computer based curriculum for most subjects, and it has been seriously easier on me. However, sometimes ya just gotta give the people what they want. Which means doing all the prep work for momma...lesson plans, correcting and grading.

The first day of school always displays my kids different personalities. My eldest always begins full throttle, determined and organized. (Which slowly fizzles out as the year progresses...) My middle begins anxious, full of questions and concerns. While explaining the basics of how things will be run, her hands are thrown up and she utters "I just don't get it mom". A bit overwhelmed with change, that girl gets. But she always settles nicely in time. My third just kind of goes with the flow. She'd much rather being playing with her horse figurines (or "Minecraft"...her new latest addiction), but she knows she must complete her schooling first. And so she does.
Today my house was in shambles, dishes unwashed in the sink, my hair is disheveled, my brain in disarray, and baby spit-up is my scent of choice. Ah....yes. School has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment