Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lemonade, Anyone? (Please?)


Out of my three children, I should have known that at least one would end up being an entrepreneur. My oldest is such. She is always scheming, planning, and crafting her way to earning money. I don't fully understand this personality...at her age, I was just happy to be alive and playing outside. But, in my attempts to not squelch this aspect of her personality, I try to oblige. Last year it was card making. She spent hours designing, gluing and glittering cards. The kind gentleman at the thrift store let her leave some cards there, and she sold a few packages that way. Not to mention sympathetic grandparents whom dutifully made their purchases from her. But then the thrift store closed. And I insisted that she not send her grandparents anymore "Buy One, Get One Free" coupons. She wanted to put an ad in the local newspaper for her crafty cards, but I had to draw the line somewhere. So...that dream died off. After that she envisioned becoming rich via yard sales and lemonade stands. I permitted one yard sale (trust me...if she had her way we would have one of those eternal, year round yard sales that we see quite a bit of in these parts). I even allowed a few days of lemonade stands. She did not become as rich as she would have liked, but was pleased to have some spare change.

And now a new spring and summer have arrived. And my daughter has begun inquiring about selling lemonade again. And bracelets. She spent the past two weeks making bracelets, necklaces and pins. She spent a large part of yesterday getting her signs ready. And all day long, I am asked the same question. "Can we have a lemonade stand today? Tomorrow? Saturday?" Now, keep in mind that the average temperature all week has been 60 degrees. People aren't exactly roaming the roads in search for a thirst-quenching drink. However, I have put her off for several days now, and I simply don't have the energy to prolong it anymore. So I made the official executive decision to give the lemonade a green light today. We waited for the sprinkles to die down, and then they went to work. It is a whopping 62 degrees, with variable clouds, chance of showers and slight wind. And my girls are sitting on the front lawn, selling lemonade. In jackets. So far they have enticed the neighbor and the mail carrier. Bless their big hearts. And, after making a $1.10 profit, they sit. And wait. Swat at the bugs. Swing the necklaces around. Chit chat. Run around the table. They even alternate their potty breaks. But they will not leave their post. No, siree. You just never know when a car may drive by. Not only is the weather not cooperating, but you have to understand that we also live on a not so well travelled road. Yes, these girls have got determination, fortitude and stamina. If only I could channel all of that towards obedience and schoolwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment