Monday, February 25, 2013

Operation: De-Junkify

This morning when I woke up I decided: Today. Today is the day. Today I choose to have that battle. The battle of epic proportions. I tend to be lax with my kids concerning their bedrooms. It's their own little private space, after all. If they want a few stickers and posters on the wall, I'm down with that. Unmade beds? I can handle that, too. However, ever since the boys were born (well, ever since I can remember, actually) the girls' room has looked like Toys-R-Us threw up in it. My younger two share a room; and it appears as though neither care what shape it's in. Every night when we put them to bed I walk into their room. And cringe. It terrifies me slightly. I'm never quite sure where all the "stuff" comes from. And deep, deep down inside I'm fearful that we may have a couple of future hoarders on our hands. I give you exhibit A:
Now, keep in mind you're looking at just half of their room. And, this is somewhat "tidied up". In all honesty, this picture really doesn't do it justice. You'd have to stand in the midst and turn s-l-o-w-l-y to get the full, jaw-dropping effect. Just take my word for it. Scary.
And so, I declared today the clean and organize day. "Operation" De-Junkify" was in full effect. My girls always dread it. And we always repeat the same "if-you-cleaned-it-every-day-and-put-things-back-where-they-go lecture". Followed by lots of nodding, and a little bit of dramatic whining. But still...we come back around to this same place. I trekked through yesterday's stormy remains to our local Family Dollar, picked up some handy storage bins and laid the law down to the girls: whatever doesn't fit within is the winner of a new home. They complied (somewhat un-enthusiastically) and began the purge. I ventured upstairs from time to time to see how things were going. I helped them go through things for a bit. And I seriously stifled some major panic attacks in the process. I sifted through rocks (yes, rocks), dirty socks, old receipts, billions of Polly Pockets (darn those small pieces), and a gazillion Silly Bands. You cannot even imagine to the depth that this junk that has multiplied in one room. The stuff...it breeds overnight. Two trash bags of trash, one give-away bag and half a day later; half the room was complete. 
Phase two of Operation: De-Junkify shall be completed tomorrow. I just don't know if I have it in me. If it were up to me, we'd just chuck it all and start brand new. (Have I ever mentioned how I detest clutter?) And they would be allowed ten toys maximum. I'm just that mean. And I've had just about enough. Seriously. Seven people under one roof and all their stuff....it's enough to drive anyone mad.
 
Spring cleaning, anyone? I sense another yard sale in our distant future...

3 comments:

  1. I feel like our girls are the same girls!!! lol...
    I am the same, there are some nights I have the girlies kiss me goon night before they go to their bedrooms, because I am afraid if I walk in to their room, I might become the crazy Mom who hollers ALOT! Their room is always a mess, they even keep packages that stuff comes in - I would love to get in there and chuck half of it in the garbage .... You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY? !?! I thought my girls were THE ONLY ones who keep packages to toys! Cardboard behind Littlest Pet Shop toys and such! Holy moly...this makes me feel so much more normal now! Lol!!
    I can't tell you how many times I walk into their room at night and sigh. And shake my head. :-)
    Fortunately once they were completely done (two days later) they were rewarded with McDonald's for dinner, movie night in their newly cleaned room and a sleepover with Kaytlin! And as an added bonus...they found oodles of toys they forgot they had. And have been playing happily ever since. Everyone wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the added joy of the boy/girl mixture in the same room. It's an odd assortment of nerf guns vs my little ponies! We have storage bins from IKEA that I love and we do an annual clean before Christmas. The rest of the year I just try to ignore it! haha
    Marliese

    ReplyDelete