Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Loves

Valentine's Day. It's a family affair around this home. Our girlies enjoy it just as much as any other holiday. Perhaps even more.
 They awaken to candies and chocolate; cards and sentiment. I am gifted with flowers and showered with bright red and pink cards.
 Valentine's dinner always consists of heart-shaped yummies (cut out with love), special dinner-ware and holiday decor. And always followed up with a chocolate candy hunt.
 My Love, the sweetheart that he is, planned a superb get-away dinner by candlelight. It may have been in his office (within our home) while the girlies babysat our boys; and it may have been prepared by Subway (we did, in fact, "eat fresh")...but in my book it was perfection with a capital "P". We've now spent 17 Valentine's Days together. And with all the various stages of life we've been in, no two have ever been the same.
 
There was a day once where I would find this a terribly unromantic. And some would still argue it is, no doubt. But Valentine's Day, this way, is so "us". Surrounded by the ones we love the most, and making the most of life.
Hubs and I were pondering over our semi-private dinner tonight: "Is life in the present what you expected it would be?" (Sometimes were deep like that...not often, but it happens.)
Hubs: Not at all. First, he never really has any expectations. Honest. He's a go-with-the-flow kinda fella. (I love that about him.) However...he did say the he never, ever (he made extra emphasis) pictured himself with five kids. (He was on the strict two-kids-maximum plan.) Turns out I'm good for him that way. I've expanded his horizons. Along with his grocery bill.
Me: Life is mostly as I thought it would be. A stay-at-home mom to a "bunch" of kids. Although, in all honesty, after the first three I truly thought that was plenty. But then I got a hankering for one more...and we all know how that turned out. The part that I didn't expect is also the part that I'm often just blown away with: I could have in no way predicted how fulfilled and content I am with where I am in life. I never, ever (extra emphasis) would have thought that being "just" a wife and mother could be...enough. And it is. Truly, it is. There is nothing more I yearn for, nothing that is lacking.
I am so blessed to have my Love, my best friend and life-long partner. So thankful he has been so supportive of my staying at home, raising all these babies. Blessed that he has always been by my side in life. Encouraging, patient...quietly steering this ship.
I'm so glad I get to grow old(er) with you, Hubs. Steer on, Love. Happy Valentine's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment