The past week has been a whirlwind of events. And I have been without my laptop to post such current and exciting happenings. Until today. And so; let the journey begin...
Tuesday: Ultrasound with the specialist and regular doctor's appointment. The ultrasound went great, showing each little man growing well at 4 pounds 3 ounces and 4 pounds 2 ounces. Both still head down, ready to roll. (And roll they do.) At my doctor's office she finds my blood pressure is elevated and there's some suspected protein in my urine. All precursors to preeclampsia, not uncommon to twin moms. More lab work is ordered, more suspicious results. We make arrangements to see her again in two days.
Thursday: Back with the doctor. More lab work done, more suspicious results. Blood pressure still elevated. I'm informed that I am now a good hospital candidate. To which I slightly disagree (mostly out of stubbornness), but dutifully comply. I drive over to the hospital and sign myself in.
(And my life away, so it seems.)
Friday: Ultrasounds, non-stress tests, a bazillion needle sticks later the preeclampsia is confirmed. My levels aren't the greatest so breakfast is withheld in the event they should need to deliver me soon. After one more stable lab test I'm finally granted to eat...except that by now it's lunch time. (Oh, also they seem to particularly adore my urine...they keep saving it by the jugful and then whisking it away. Is there a black market for such a thing?) My doctor informs me that it would be "a miracle" if I carry these boys until the middle of next week. I see her challenge and raise her by an extra week. She now has the tough balancing act of making sure these boys come out good and healthy without sacrificing my own safety. I fully understand why her pay scale is so high, and why I never, ever would like to have her job nor the responsibilities that go with it. Hubs and I take a tour of the NICU to get a good idea of what the boys first few days and possible weeks of their lives shall be like. And we leave feeling assured that they shall be in good hands. Today they receive the first of two steroid injections to develop their lungs (via my very sore heinie...I took the fall for them.) Every day shall be touch and go from here on out. Either way, I'm told this is my new home until the twins make their grand arrival. I go to sleep, hoping for some much needed rest only to be awaken by...
Saturday: ...Contractions at 5:00 am. And I mean early labor contractions. Not those wimpy braxton hick thingys. Five minute apart contractions. They ship me across the floor to labor and delivery to deal with. And once again breakfast is stripped away. Until 10:30, that is, when they are fully assured they have ceased labor and I'm once again in the safe zone. One more steroid shot, several more needle sticks (this coming from the gal whom used to be terrified of needles...not just scared...terrified), and lots more urine collecting (if towns could be electrically run on the stuff I could handle all of Boston). And another ultrasound. Which everyone is pleased with, for it reveals the boys are happily practicing breathing on their own. And quite amused with themselves, rolling all around in there. I think they're searching for the "evacuation button". My mother travels in for a visit, with nail polish in tow. She paints my wretched looking toenails to which the nurses "ooh" and "aah" over. Clearly I am fully ready and prepared for labor now. Another day of busyness leaves this poor momma tired; and sore...and so I look forward to a quiet nights sleep. When all of a sudden...
Sunday: 12:00 AM. I've been asleep a total of two hours (thank you very much, acid reflux). My throat hurts, my head hurts, so I place a call in for some Maalox, some Tylenol, and a few hours rest. The sweet nurse brings me my requested meds, but can't seem to promise me the rest. As soon as I think I'm settling into slumber, my uterus informs me she has other plans. Contractions yet again. Good ones. Three to five minute apart ones. And double, piggy-back ones. (Those are my favorite.) I disturb my nurse yet again; only to be penalized by being sent to labor and delivery. The girls know me well there by now and are familiar with the routine. I do some lovely laboring for a while there, listen to the other mommas screaming out from their own labor pains, get nervous and then have a little chat with my boys. I inform them that Easter is really the Lord's day, not their day to steel His thunder, and that they ought to just chill for a while longer. By 5:00 AM they begin to comply and I beg the doctor on call for mercy's sake to unhook me and let me sleep. After some more pleading and a stray tear or two he agrees. By 8:00 AM my regular doc is back on and checks my progress. For all that effort my newly found cervix of steel is only 1-2 centimeters. (Just where did this strong cervix come from, anyway?) Which I'm pleased with, anyway, for I want these twins to grow more. More lab work, more jugs of urine, more testing. My body seems to be staying pretty stable. But my doctor still tells me not to grow to comfortable..and reminds me that I'm a "ticking time bomb". Which judging by the uncomfortable size of my tummy I can't argue. Now she has changed her prediction to "I cannot see you making it past Friday". Hmmm...yet another challenge.
Easter afternoon is spent with my kiddos and Hubby. The girls, long stripped out of their Easter attire, show up with decor and tape galore. My room is now happily adorned with bunnies, baby chicks, spring flowers and Easter eggs. Which brightens not only my day, but all the nurses whom are stuck in here with me. The girls have now grown accustom to the whole hospital scene. The first few days you could read it all over their faces that this wasn't their favorite place to be. But now they regularly take trips on their own to the nursery in search of any and all newborn babes that might be there. And they're learning to live on cafeteria hot dogs. Delish and nutrish. (Not so much.) They climb in bed with me, touch my belly, play with my IV, and assure me they are ready to meet their brothers...and have us all home together. I concur, but know it will be a while yet still.
8:30 PM arrives and my eyes simply cannot stay open another minute longer. I order up my Maalox and let the nurse know I'm calling it a night....just in case these two little troublemakers decide they have more midnight plans for me.
More to follow tomorrow....
Ohhh!!!!!! I wanted to skip to the bottom incase they were born -- but I read the whole thing straight through! Will definetely be praying for you -- that they hang on a little longer, but not toooooo much longer that you are in great distress....ooooooh!! I'm sooooo excited for you, Rachael! hope you're doing okay and not in too much unbearable pain...praying for you, friend.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kristi! We're very excited too!! No, not in pain...just annoying when those contractions come and go!! So very different than with my girls, these two are! We're doing well, though! I'll be sure to keep the "happenings" posted! :-)
ReplyDeleteI will be praying that those 2 boys of yours will "cook" a bit longer.
ReplyDelete