Monday, April 16, 2012

34 Weeks

I awoke last night all in a startle. The thought just randomly came to my sleeping, dreaming mind....I made it to thirty-four weeks! I couldn't sleep for an hour. Just feeling overwhelmingly blessed, pondering the future and wondering just what these boys are going to look like. When we first began this journey into "twinhood" one of my doctor's requests was that I make it to thirty-four weeks. I was so happy to report to her this morning that I obliged her request. "Now get 'em on out", is what I really wanted to say after that. But I held my tongue...seeing how I'm at her mercy these days.
I'm happy to report that my lab work is all coming back acceptable (although they're still awfully fond of collecting every drop of my urine...so bizarre if you ask me); my blood pressure has been behaving and all is quiet and calm. Except my contractions. They're driving me a little loopy these days; coming stronger and closer. But it's all good...all prep work for what's (hopefully) soon to come. I asked my doc (with my best pouty lip I have) how long she would allow me to continue like this before we jump-started anything...and I'm told at thirty-six weeks we have the green light to go. Which is two whole long weeks...but I'm trying not to think that far ahead. Besides...I'm allowing these boys one more week of comfort in there before I serve them an eviction notice. And don't think for one minute that I won't. I'm on day twelve of hospital bed rest, and I intend not to do a whole month more.
This past week, because of my good behavior, I was granted wheelchair privileges. Which is actually kinda a big deal to me. And so...whenever Hubs and company comes around I get just a small taste of freedom. The girls thoroughly enjoy taking turns wheeling me around the hospital, knocking my feet into walls and taking out innocent spectator's ankles. The weather here has been glorious (so I'm told), so we even take a bit of time to just sit outside. I'm sure it's not much fun for the girls, these little excursions, but I think they understand that momma's going to go a little insane if she isn't permitted these outings. And so, we try to make the most of it.
As for these little boys...they're hanging in there blissfully oblivious to the fact that they are hurting every nook and cranny of this poor momma's body. I get asked often, "Is a twin pregnancy really that different than a singleton?" And I hold back from screaming, "YES!" My girls never caused such discomfort or pain. I fear they may, at any given moment, erupt forth from my belly button; dislocate my hips; bust a rib or just simply claw their way out of my lady parts. But they are worth every bit of it. Today was yet another (of many) ultrasound, and I was so pleased to hear of their continued growth and good health. Baby "A" and his disgruntled, smushed face...weighing in at approximately 5 pounds, 7 ounces (poor fella's been wedged in my pelvis for well over a month now...hence the angry face):
And Baby "B", with his chubby cheeks weighed in approximately at 5 pounds 1 ounce:
Thirty-four weeks down...perhaps two more to go. I can do this. I think.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you updated -- I keep wondering!!!! My word, those pictures are so CLEAR!! I can't wait for those babes to be evicted! I'm sure you are unbelievable uncomfortable and ready to have your body back...and meet these little boys!!! Praying for ya, Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok! First of all.... You do not look 34 weeks pregnant with twins!!!!!!!!!! So happy you made it this far! My son was born at 34 weeks and only required one week stay in the NICU. So as hard as it is too keep them in there, the longer the better :) You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep checking daily!! We have been praying for you daily as well! Its so cute to hear Kaity pray for you :) SO good to see you the other day! Keep up the good work of waiting!

    ReplyDelete