Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ladies Night Out

This past weekend my sisters and I ventured out for a night on the town. Er, city as it were. We all bid farewell to our husbands and children, and raced out of town without looking back. T'was a glorious thirty two hours. My sides still ache from laughing so hard. Which was mainly what we did for the duration of the trip. None of us are accustomed to having hour after hour of kidlet free shopping. And I must confess...it's rather scary what happens when mothers are let loose with virtually zero responsibilities. Especially sisters.
My personal highlight of the trip: Our venture into Sephora. My sisters and I couldn't be more different from each other in the area of all things make-up and fashion. One is high up on the make up and clothing spectrum. She's gorgeous and is always in the "know" of the latest trends and the bestest products. She is always perfectly put together, isn't ashamed to be seen in a bikini while nine months pregnant, but won't step foot out the door sans make-up. I, on the other hand am make-up/fashion illiterate. I don't leave the house without shadow or mascara, but could live my entire life without lipstick, blush or vibrant colored eye shadows. I prefer the barely there look. And as far as clothing? Practicality and comfort are an absolute must. If it ain't comfy, and it don't serve a purpose...it ain't touching this skin. The third sister likes make-up, but also is perfectly confident leaving the house naked-faced. And she can get away with either look. As for fashion sense, she's all for the trendy yet comfy look....and always looks fabulous. We're just all so different. And that's okay. But it makes for quite a hilarious scene when you put us all together in a completely just make-up store. (Which, by the way, I wasn't even aware existed until this weekend.) Oh, the fun we had putting make-up on each other. At one point I had raccoon eyes, Tammy Faye Baker lashes, and bright red clown lips. Not my best look. Lighthearted teasing definitely took place. And at one point one sister in particular may or may not have slightly peed her pants laughing. Just who that was, I'll never tell. (Mainly because there's an unspoken oath that sisters pledge to one another to never disclose things of such nature.) The poor sales people were almost cheering when we exited the store, I'm sure. We all purchased the same eye shadow compact that was on sale, we just have very different views on how to use it. And that's okay. Let's just say the purple and black in mine will remain untouched. Until next Halloween, perhaps.
We retreated to a hotel for the night, enjoying a guilt-free junk food fest of junior mints, M&M's and Canadian mints (love those things). And our big plans of having one glorious day to sleep in? Failed. Internal clocks just don't cooperate. We were all up by 7:30 A.M. Restful wasn't one of the words I would use to describe our adventure. And that's okay, too. Because it was a complete blast.
We were all happy to get back home to those we love the most on Saturday evening. Completely shopped out and tired out. (And quite possibly bankrupt in part due to the great sales at Old Navy.) But what fun it was to spend just a short time doing what we wanted to do...with no set schedule or plan. It must become an annual ritual, our sisterly week-end get away...

2 comments:

  1. Awww, how nice, Rachael!!!! Sisters are the best, aren't they?! (and the worst, at times, too -- let's be honest!!) hahaha -- glad you enjoyed your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS. Now THIS makes me wish I had sisters.....How much fun!!!! Oh my word. So happy you guys got to do this.

    ReplyDelete