It is no secret that I am not a big fan of Halloween. And surprisingly, not for the reason you might think. It actually has nothing to do with the fact that it began as a pagan holiday. (If that were the case, I also wouldn't be thrilled about celebrating the pagan fertility holiday otherwise known as "Easter".) No, no...it has nothing to do with being super spiritual. Truth is, I just don't get it. And for those of you that anxiously display your spooky decor and stick pictures of witches on your windows, please understand that I'm not judging. I truly just don't get it.
There is a house a few towns down from us whom has the same Halloween decorations annually. Giant blow up lawn spookiness, man made graves; complete with gravestones and such. And from their basketball hoop on their garage they hang, from a noose, an unsuspecting faux victim. I just don't get it. As it were, my children don't either. In fact, their nightmares tell me so.
I have two children whom are extremely sensitive about what they see, and tend to be too immature to process it. And every Halloween, I take careful precautions to make the day about fun, candy and some traditional celebrations. The girls dress up as clowns, animals, and even old people (is that last one a bit offensive? It might be, but once you see the picture, I'm sure you'll find it at least a tiny bit hilarious....) I'm just a bit confused about the whole gory, torturous death, evil cantations, mysterious graves, haunted houses, severed limbs part. Why is it not humorous on the news, but this one particular day it becomes humorous to adorn our lawns as such? I shake my head and proclaim, "I just don't get it!" Bizarre to me. This holiday we call "Halloween".
Ah, well, it is what it is. No...it actually is what I choose to make it. So...without further ado, here are some of my choices:
(Me and my fabulously hot sister...seriously, who wouldn't drool over us?)
However you choose to celebrate, and even if you choose not to, I hope you all enjoy the day.
hahahhaha!! I love the pictures -- and especially the old lady!! seriously funny. i don't really get the whole Halloween thing, either -- though, the other day, we were thinking how fun it would be to have a Halloween party...but -- mostly for the non-gory costumes. Jonah will be monkey...and I hope he scores lots of loot, 'cause I LOVE chocolate!! However...we are only going to a few houses - he's only 2 and a half -- strangers will know its not really for him if we have bucket loads of candy!! anyways...just stopping in again to say hello -- I love reading your blog -- you are funny as ever!!
ReplyDelete