Friday, August 13, 2010

Livin' Off the Land

Hubs and I have been chit chatting a lot about living simple lately. Simply simplifying, you could say. Becoming more self-reliant. Living off the land. Take our chickens and garden, for instance. We really enjoy both.

Let me rephrase that.

I really enjoy caring for the chickens and the garden. Hubs really enjoys having fresh eggs and veggies. (It's a good partnership.)

Now that our harvest is nice and abundant, I have been planning our meal menu around what happens to be ripe. Like last night. Zucchini boats with sauteed summer squash and green beans. Delish. (Well, I was pretty much the only one who has a true appreciation for zucchini and summer squash...the others pretty much choked it down.)

While feasting on the fruits...er....veggies of our labor, my mind was busy planning next year's garden. It will be my third year as a veggie farmer, and I think perhaps that I might better know how much of each veggie to plant for our family. My first year I went crazy with the summer squash...only to give most of it away; after I discovered I was the only one whom enjoyed it. This year my cherry tomatoes got a bit out of hand. So, next year I'm hoping to plan better. Hubs decided it was time to throw in his contribution to my love of gardening...after our veggie-full dinner, he ran off and bought me this:
Some girls enjoy getting flowers and candy from the one they love. I adore practical items. Hubs made my heart all a flutter over a rototiller. I can't wait to tear the dirt up in preparation for next year's garden. I know. I'm a strange gal. I'm okay with that.

Oh, and guess who else has their eye on my veggies...
Two words for you, sweet momma deer and babies. Electric. Fence. Go ahead...try it. I dare ya.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel - no joke - this is what I asked Kev to get me for my birthday!!!! I got my shutters painted instead - which is a great #2 option. I just can't beleive how on the same page we are......I'm kinda jealous! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I just spelled your name like that. Sorry. Good grief. I'm tired.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. good morning....for my birthday I received a dremel tool and drill press with lots of attachments from my family. I will use it on seaglass and other things that might need a hole! LOL...practical...flowers die and the grass withers away....but a dremel tool will last for a long long time!!

    ReplyDelete