One of my aspirations I had when I was young was to be a song writer. And not just any song writer. The best, of course. A song writer whom wrote songs that gripped people's souls...and put their heart in their throats. As a young girl I turned to music as a place of retreat. Music touched my soul in a way that people could not...it put words to the feelings I had but couldn't express. I often could be found flaked out on my bed in total darkness, weeping horomone-induced tears alongside my little pink boom box. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, either.
My inspirational music writing plans didn't quite work out. Turns out you need true musical talent to write songs. To which I am deeply lacking. I took several months of piano lessons, in preparation of my grand writing career. And came home crying most days. It seems my piano teacher thought I lacked proper concentration and patience. Or so her broken television antennae told me as it was repeatedly wrapped on my fingers when I played the wrong keys. Hence the tears. It was a dark time in my musical aspiration years.
Today I leave the deep, meaningful song writing up to the professionals. They do a much better job than I ever could. There are some songs recorded that truly touch my soul and grip my heart. They leave me biting my lip, swallowing the lump in my throat and internally screaming "YES! THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I FEEL!!!" There are a select few that I can't help but getting leaky-eyed every time I hear them. Such as the following from Mercy Me. Enjoy...and if you're like me, you may want to listen to it alone. In a dark room. With the door locked. And the blinds pulled. And a tissue handy. If you really want to go over the top, be sure to pull out memories of all your worst childhood experiences. Okay, I'm really just kidding...but it is a great song.
No comments:
Post a Comment