"There is no growth without change, no change without surrender, no surrender without wound - no abundance without breaking. Wounds are what break open the soul to plant the seeds of a deeper growth." (Ann Voskamp)
Our family, both as individuals as well as a whole, has been walking through this lately. In so many different ways. The conversation within our home frequently consists of this surrender, brokenness, wounds and growth. There's something so intimate about a family learning and growing spiritually together. In bearing one another's burdens and implementing love, grace and forgiveness in each other's lives there comes a healing. Surrender allows change, and change gives way to new life; to new possibility.
I vividly recall experiencing labor for the first time. I was well aware of the concept of pain serving a bigger purpose...but I also knew that in the height of the most intense pain, maintaining focus would be difficult. I was fiercely determined when my water broke at home, signaling the beginning of the birthing process. Focused on the task at hand, I mentally prepared myself into what lay ahead. This was the moment where I would unashamedly permit my stubbornness to take center stage - I can do this. I will do this. If sheer will alone would be enough to get me through, I was all set.
As labor intensified, I became less and less assured that my own willpower would be enough. With each mounting contraction, I found myself mentally chanting, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13) And that became my anthem for the next several hours. In time I found my will falling into complete surrender to my body's rhythms: pain, rest and building back up to pain. As the intensity of that pain continued to grow, my mind was kept in focus with this one truth: surrendering to the pain gives way to new life. Each agonizing contraction was serving me to reach the end goal. Fighting them would, in fact, be counterproductive. And just when I thought I could endure no longer, a most beautiful, healthy baby girl emerged and my body heaved a sigh of relief. The struggle was finished. Within seconds I went from the most indescribable pain to unbelievable, overwhelming joy.
Life and its experiences are often contradictory to one another like that: Mourning to dancing. Weeping to laughing. Everything can and does change. And it occurs to me how those of us blessed enough to experience childbirth have experienced a portion of God's symbolic illustration of us believers, his children, while waiting to go to our eternal home. Since the beginning of time, all of creation has been groaning, yearning for something more; for something 'other'...
"While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life." -II Corinthians 5:4
Like a mother in childbirth, we're all struggling through this life. Moments of pain give way to moments of quiet rest, while savoring accomplishments and experiencing joys before the next season of struggling begins again. It's a cycle that will repeat for as long as we're on this earth. It's continually filled with seasons of high mountaintops as well as low valleys. "Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows, but take heart, because I have overcome the world!" -John 16:33
How could we expect any different? It seems we're all seeking peace through this crazy life. Searching for just the right pain relief to numb the hurt when we're in a season of struggling.
Is is possible to experience peace, even in the middle of the struggle? Could it be that absolute surrender is the solution?
I would insist, "YES!"
"You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!" -Isaiah 26:3
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials." -I Peter 1:3-7
While we learn surrender and acceptance in various areas of our lives as individuals and as a family, we're finding new joy and growth. In our brokenness, we find a deeper intimacy and love for Jesus. And while we walk with one another, we learn more about grace and love.
His ways are so, so good.
And His love is so, so big.
His ways are so, so good.
And His love is so, so big.
No comments:
Post a Comment