While picking up the breakfast dishes this morning, I found myself humming the tune to the song "Fear is a Liar". Moments later I gathered books around the dining room table to begin school with my boys, and I chuckled when I heard one of them humming the tune as well. The song had been "caught".
It happens often. Songs get stuck in our heads and we instinctively find ourselves whistling, humming or singing along to them. In our house, it's a a game of sorts - this attempt at making others "catch" it. Often it's the most annoying, most difficult tune to get out of your head, and it leaves me fully entertained to be the giver of said annoying tune.
But lately I find myself pondering more serious implications - I think joy and gratefulness are much the same. And likewise, discontentment and anger. In my twenty-one years of being a stay-at-home Momma, I've realized one interesting and profound phenomenon: I have the power to set the tune, the tone of my home. (I think the same is true of their Daddy, but I'm only speaking of my own experience/responsibility here.) If I'm having a grumpy day, it can seem as though a dark cloud has descended over our home. Likewise, a cheerful heart can be just as contagious. It really is not that difficult a concept. Anyone who has lived any length of time has learned: It's far more pleasant to be in the company of those who are full of joy than those who fully enjoy complaining.
There is so much in parenting that is caught rather than taught. I can tell my children that they ought to have thankful hearts, but if they don't see me live that out for them by example, it's contradictory. Hypocritical. Likewise with my faith. As well as contentment. And love. There are so many times I've undoubtedly sent them mixed messages along the way. Times that my actions are simply out of duty, rather than truly from the heart (they always know the difference). Sarcastic comments, critical remarks - they're all "caught", too. It's challenging to teach and lead by example what I'm still learning and applying myself. Children keep us incredibly accountable. (A double-edged sword of sorts.)
May I be attentive to the words we speak. May I continually be aware of the condition of m heart, and the motives behind my actions. Wherever I are, whatever I do - the deepest parts of me cannot be hid and are eventually poured out and "caught" by those around me. We have an incredible power to either speak life and live out love and joy, or to extinguish them.
"From the fruit of their mouth a person's stomach is filled; with the harvest of their lips they are satisfied. The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."
-Proverbs 18:20,21
No comments:
Post a Comment