Sunday, February 8, 2015
The Great Debate
Can I just say...I am so frustratingly tired of the "vax/anti-vax" movement.
I don't often start my posts with such a negative intro. My apologies. Let me rewind...
No, better yet...let me expound.
Almost regularly now I am now plagued with articles, statements, comments, debates and sarcastic comics for both sides of the great vaccination argument. I get it...it's a pretty hot topic these days. We all get it. If we're a parent in the United States, we fully understand that our choice on the matter is quite important. What I don't seem to understand...is why everyone knows they're right. I don't mean "hopes" they're right. So many people are solidified in their choice. They just KNOW. I have read so, so many various medical journals. The Center for Disease Control website. Inoculation pamphlets. Physician reviews. I've talked to many an educated parent, physician and other people in the medical field. And no one can seem to agree. While I absolutely can understand both sides of the argument, I can't seem to find my exact position in it all. And so...as parents, we do what we only know how to do best: we make an informed decision (as best "informed" as can be), pray to God above that He's pleased with it, and (perhaps most importantly of all) TRUST that He's a God so big, that His will can still be carried out, despite any errors we've made along the way.
The hardest part that I just can't seem to get past...the parent shaming. The sarcasm. As though you or I are less of a parent should we decide to do what we think is best. Are we not all hoping for the same outcome...whether we decide to vaccinate our children or not? I mean. Honestly. No one is seriously hoping their child is leaning on the verge of contracting measles, possible complications and (God forbid) dying. If we were to be perfectly honest with one another, BOTH choices contain risks. Neither the pro-vaccine parent nor the anti-vaccine parent is assured a healthy, thriving child in the worst case scenario outcome. We're all kind of living by faith...vaccinated or otherwise. There are many parents, unfortunately, whom have chosen not to vaccinate and their child has suffered at the hands of various diseases. And there are also, unfortunately, many parents whom have chosen to vaccinate, and their child has suffered at the hands of a pharmaceutical vaccine. Neither have "won" the argument. Quite the contrary, actually. They've experiences the worst kind of loss ever. (While the rest of the world isn't hesitant in the least to jump on the "I-told-you-so" bandwagon.) And...I'd be willing to bet parents suffer from guilt in both sides of the circumstance. No. No winners there.
I've spoken with parents whom are heatedly sure about their choice in the matter. They are defiantly convinced of their choice, and there is no swaying of the mind. Which I get. If you're convinced one way, you're convinced. But for me...with all I've searched and studied...I cannot gather enough tangible evidence in my hands. I can see charts and statistics...but then I must rely on man's findings; not insusceptible to error or influence. And for every "pro" argument laid out, there's an "anti" argument laying in wait. It's enough to make a Mama's head spin.
Which all leads me to one, valuable lesson to be learned: Just because I am fully convinced in my own conscience that something is right or wrong in the raising of my child; it shouldn't make ME the standard for another person, family or even society.
I don't mean Biblical right/wrongs here. I mean the personal, preferential choices we make on a regular basis with our kids. Like vaccines. I have seen parents be passionate to the extreme of judgmental on even simple things...from the very beginnings of infancy, right on through to adulthood: breastfeeding, discipline, co-sleeping, medications, homeopathic healing, education, daycare, working moms...the list is never-ending. And...believe it or not...all those issues I feel fairly confident on what's right or best....but for my own children, and for my own family. Not for everyone else. We've made our choices based on convictions and preferences; but I'll be the first to stand and say there's times where I'm insecure about our decisions. We've had times where, out of age and learned wisdom, that we've tweaked our choices. I don't feel we would be good parents if we didn't at least ask ourselves the hard questions from time to time...being open to change means being open to opportunity for growth. In the fifteen years that we've parented, We've needed much growth. Still need more.
Which brings me full circle back around to that grace thing. In all things, choose to honor God, yes. But in the in-between things...the areas He's given us free reign to make a "good, better, best" choice...shower it with prayer and grace. Shower others whom choose differently than you in grace. Despite the fact that we all view things so differently, we ultimately want the same for our children: the absolute best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment