Thursday, February 26, 2015

It's A Twin Thing...

With every new stage our boys go through, I'm mesmerized by the twin bond. I anticipated their relationship to be different than what we've seen with our other children, but I wasn't sure how. And although we've been watching it unfold for almost three years now...I can't even find words to quite describe it. It's most definitely different than what we've experienced with the rest of our children. While the boys certainly have their spats, it's still not the same as watching our other children. My theory, albeit an unprofessional one, is that (for now) there's no pecking order. Where there is no "birth order rite" between them, there's no struggle to acquire alpha dog status. They will both, for the most part, concede to the other's needs and wants equally. (Although, there might be some little-girlish-like screaming in the process at times...)
When we first brought them home from the hospital, I had high hopes of keeping these two as tight knit as possible. 
But, within the first month, I caught Chase rolling over. And when he broke out of his tight swaddle one night and clawed his brother's face up, I decided that close sleeping quarters might not be the best idea. And so, from then on, they each had their own crib. Which they seemed to like, anyway. But ever since we transitioned them to toddler beds, it's been interesting. Cody, our fearful night-waking boy, has the habit of being restless and scared at night...some nights needing to be consoled multiple times. When we changed beds, he had the hardest time adjusting...as I anticipated. Chase, being a self-soother (and seemingly less fearful), can sleep through a train wreck. So I thought perhaps moving Cody's bed closer to Chase's might give him a little added security.
They both loved it. Before drifting off to sleep, they would travel back and forth between beds. Reading books, chatting, and laughing. They enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I thought a "toddler twin bed" was necessary. And since they don't really sell those at Walmart, I cobbled them up one to fit their crib mattresses. 
They loved it even more. I wondered if they would irritate one another; having grown used to their own space within their separate cribs for so long. Amazingly, Cody sleeps far better cozied up next to Brother. It's been enormously entertaining. (God bless the person who invented the baby video monitor.) Some days after I lay them down for a nap they'll sing to one another (their regular routine) and then quietly fall asleep together. Other days....it's an all-out pre-sleep party. Walls shake, the house quakes, and raucous laughter and screaming can be heard all the way to the road, I'm sure. But still...they remain in their bed and eventually fall asleep. I'm not even sure how. It's a minor miracle, actually.
One morning they woke up together in a big discussion about fishing. Another day I caught Chase pinning Cody down while he giggled uncontrollably. (To which Chase then stared directly at the camera, knowing I was watching him, and reassured me, "He's laughing, Mom! He's laughing!") And a lot of nights, when they've been snoozing for a while, I sneak in and capture moments like this...
So, so precious. Such a gift they are, one to another. They know nothing else, so they can't even understand how unique their relationship truly is. To experience every stage in life together simultaneously. To have a built-in best friend who truly understands them. To always have your womb-mate...your playmate by your side. They're so blessed. And we're so blessed to have a front row seat to witness such an amazing miracle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment