Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Blizzard of 2015


Today we experienced a storm of "epic proportions". Our first true, big ol' Nor'Easter of 2015. Having lived in Maine for 37 years now...it's all good. We're used to it. I didn't run to the store for bread or milk. I didn't even fill the bathtub with water. (Which, judging by the howling wind outside right now, I may soon regret...) The news has been littered with storm chatter the past several days; warnings and alerts of roads and highways banned from driving on, schools canceled and businesses closed down. This storm was doomed to be a big one; one that just may go down in history.
And so, to mark such a momentous day in my children's memories, I gave them the day off of school. (It may have been a little selfishly motivated, as well...in all truth.) We watched the snow fall outside in epic amounts and in epic speed. We watched the wind blow through the neighborhood in epic force. From the windows the boys watched Hubs plow the snow into epic snowbanks. And while we stayed warm and toasty indoors, and with no where to go...the girls had an epic free-for-all crafting day. It's what they do. And I love it.
Micro-sized beads were flying.
Scraps of paper were flurrying.
Fingers were knitting.

Canvases were painted.
 Chemicals were mixed. (I probably should have been more concerned than what I was on this one...)
 The sewing machined whirred. While toddler scissors chomped.
 And...the highlight of the boys' day: Real "Great Blizzard of 2015 Snow" was brought inside for tractors to push and plow. (Double bonus: my floor was washed. More or less.)
 Oh, and lazy day cuddles were to be had. (So sweet.)
 All this...and dinner with our favorite adopted Grandmother-Neighbor...I'd say it was a beautiful, perfect storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment