I've concluded I need to press "pause" on the button of life.
Step back...re-asses..and practice. To Be instead of continually Do.
Time whirls about me far too fast, and the difficulties that crop up from time to time eat away at too much. They distract. They steal, starve and suppress. There is so much beauty in life to capture...so many miniature gifts in the every day that I simply miss. Perhaps I'm too busy. Maybe my mind's eye is too distracted. Or, more than likely...I have never disciplined myself to be attentive and alert to the here and now.
I enjoy the slow motion effects from the movie "The Matrix". Time seems to slow down so the viewer can fully appreciate each well thought out movement. The eye watches every muscle submit in obedience, every jump or turn that's carefully calculated, all in a way to bring goose-bumps to the skin. It's just too cool. And it fulfills the maker's intent. To inspire awe.
Likewise our Maker has carefully knit the world with the same awe-inspiring theatricals. Intent to capture our attention and stimulate the goose-bumps of our soul. Few are awake and alert to receive such gifts. Many slumber to all that awaits them. Rushing about their lives; trying to get through each day so they can rest their tired bodies at night in preparation for the day to follow...which all too often looks similar to the day before. Going through the motions.
The gifts I choose to acknowledge are small and simple. Yet hugely profound. The more I purpose, the more I see. The larger my list grows. The more I practice, the more effortless it becomes. Stress, worry, frustration...my companions are all still present. They lurk in the shadows. Yet as I practice, eyes properly focused, the present gifts render the lesser in life ineffective.
And as my list grows, so does my heart of thanks-giving. It naturally morphs into thanks-living. Day by day; moment by moment my heart is being trained. Molded. Refined. As I practice, my eyes become alert and vigilant on seeking that which is good. And time indeed pauses, or at least slows, as I welcome the full of the moment.
89. Bird nest high up; waiting to hold hatching tree sparrow babies.
91. Fifty cent tattoos.
93. First meal of freshly shucked corn.
Do you see what I see?
Is it possible to pause time; to slow it down? Are we able see the simple gifts amidst the crowdedness of life?With eyes open wide I practice...to see the beauty in the simple. And as I list them a heart of thankfulness grows.
I find myself at this spot too many times. Just busy! There is ALWAYS something to do! :) You are not alone in thinking that slowing down is a good thing. Today I took some boxes and mad some houses for the kids for their Legos, cars and Barbies. It was fun just to sit and see their faces light up when I showed them that I could makes steps with a long piece of cardboard. Life is short and they aren't getting any smaller or younger!
ReplyDelete