Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"Thirteen"

Today we officially have two teenage daughters. It's frightening. I used to look at parents of teenagers and think they were O-L-D. Now that I'm in their shoes...it's not as old as it looked. Perhaps I'm in denial...
It's oddly strange to look at your children as young adults. And my Jilly...she's as youthful of a teen as they come. Last night, for instance, the girls had a box of Gobstoppers they were happily sucking on. Sweet Jilly proclaimed, "I never understood why they called them 'Godstoppers'. It's not like they can stop God!" Oh, how I love that girl and her naivety. She was slightly concerned about becoming a teenager. In her mind she worried that turning into one would make her want to stop playing with her stuffed animals and such. I assured her that there would come a time when she surely would, but it was completely okay if it didn't happen the very morning of her thirteenth birthday.
This girl amazes me. I tend to not brag on my children...and when I do say positive things, rest assured I am full aware that it is only by God's grace. Our five children have polar opposite personalities, struggles and strengths. I am fully confident they are their own people, despite my best efforts to "mold" them into what I'd like to. But this girl...she's incredibly special (don't worry...I say that about all my kids). She has been blessed with a calm spirit (but one that is also easily bruised). A peacemaker by nature (being a middle child for so long, it was only right). At times she may be easily flustered, but in general she has patience that far exceeds this Mama. She has been the baby whisperer in our home. I watch her with her brothers, and there is no question in my heart of what kind of a mother she will be, Lord willing. Being my lowest-maintenance and least-complaining child, it's easy for her to get lost in the shuffle. It's all too easy for me to take her for granted. If I could pinpoint which of my children that most resembled my childhood self, it would be my Jillian. She's had my heart since the day she was born. She almost broke my heart the day I thought we lost her to a respiratory virus. She strengthened my heart as I watched her fragile body recover. She brought incredible joy to my heart with her antics as a toddler. And daily she softens my heart as she reminds me of the attributes I need to be more like. She doesn't fully understand it quite yet...but her often silent presence in a not so silent brood of children speaks volumes.
Happy 13th, Jilly-Bean. You truly are special.

No comments:

Post a Comment