Saturday, June 8, 2013

For The Love of Rhubarb!

Community is a beautiful thing. When we moved here about six years ago, we weren't exactly stoked about living within close proximity to our neighbors. Our family has, for the most part, lived relatively secluded. So choosing a home in the midst of other people was new to us.
Turns out we love it. Ours is the only family with small children on the road. (No doubt we've brought a whole new level of noise to the block.) And we have been crazy blessed with the neighbors we have. In particular, the sweet lady across the road from us. She's truly a delight. Full of tid-bits of knowledge. And amazingly strong and energetic for being 80-ish years young. And as an added bonus...she doesn't mind my kids. In fact, she drops by just to spend time with them.
She has the best rhubarb patch. Which she permits me to raid every year. And every year we gobble up as much of it as we can. Rhubarb pie, rhubarb crunch, rhubarb jam and whatever sweet concoction we can fathom up. Last year I was slightly disappointed I didn't get my jams made. Caring for baby boys was more pressing. But this year....
This year I'm right in rhubarb heaven. As long as the stuff keeps growing, I'll keep snatching and baking. I mean...free food. In my neighbor's back yard. How can I not?

1 comment:

  1. We love that neighbor too! :) `Marliese

    ReplyDelete