If you aren't doing something important you aren't important.
There's something very eschew with that statement. (Eschew is a vocab word of the week...can you tell we're back in school? I love using new words...it's just so fun. And it makes me feel so smart.)
I guess it all depends on how we choose to look at it. Just what is of importance?
When I birthed my first daughter I began my journey of becoming a "stay-at-home mom". Stay at home? Some days. But certainly not most. When I began to journey, I quickly grew discontent at my new role. I nursed, I burped (the baby, of course), I clothed, cleaned and diapered her. I cleaned the house, washed the clothes, prepared the dinner and washed the dishes. Lather, rinse, repeat. One day blended with another, and after a while they all took on the same appearance. That one tiny little soul was dependant on me. Little ol' me. I felt so....unimportant. My role was unpraised, unglorified, unrecognized. No one looked up to me (except that tiny little creature that demanded to be nursed...again). No one truly respected me, nor appreciated me. Or so it seemed. I was alone, flattened to the floor of "unimportant" despair. I felt completely purposeless.
I know of several women, wives and mothers who begrudgingly go about the routines of their days. Stay-at-home women whom feel purposeless. Used up. Taken advantage of. Like they give, give, give and all the while get little to nothing in return. (Been there, felt that.) But I've come to the conclusion that it's all a matter of our perspective. Looking back, my unimportant despair focused on one thing...me. I was so focused on what I deserved, what I was lacking, what I needed....that I failed to realize I had a purpose. Every moment of every day I had a purpose. We mistakenly think that "purpose" equates some big, spiritual high; that if we're not outwardly displaying our faith in life-impacting ways, it's not enough. As though we have to be missionaries, lead a women's Bible study or at the very least lead worship on Sunday mornings to feel accomplished in serving a purpose. And while none of those are by any means bad, I know I've often missed the mark in the every day simplistic ways of fulfilling my purpose. I've craved more than what the Lord was wanting to purpose me with. As if what I was doing wasn't enough. Wasn't grand enough in other's eyes. Didn't give me enough fulfillment. But it is. And it does. My purpose is simply living in the very present moment...and living it well. My purpose changes every day, you see. Today? Today it was schooling my children. And doing it to the very best of my capabilities. It was putting every thing else aside, in patience, to take my beckoning children to the library. It was smiling and giving a "hello" to the stranger at the hardware store. Making honest and sincere conversation with the librarian. Coming home and washing laundry and cleaning house. And even here, now, sitting at the computer plunking out words to this blog. (And the day's not done...there's still more purpose to be had!) Wherever I am, whatever I am doing...that is my purpose. Regardless of human recognition...and all with the proper attitude of heart.
"People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (I Samuel 16:7)
Choosing the words to my conversations carefully, keeping guard over my thoughts, checking my attitude regularly, conversing with the Lord continually. Being present. Living in the moment, being aware of life all around me. Welcoming the unexpected and becoming more opportunistic. Even the distractions that occur in every day life. Becoming more like Christ. They're all part of my purpose. When I do all those things, it makes me more spiritually aware, thus more attentive to whatever the Holy Spirit might place in my path of purpose. With the right attitude of heart and proper perspective, even the most mundane can morph into a sense of accomplishment. Not that it isn't sometimes a struggle...because it is. At times. I lose proper perspective...and start looking towards "self" again. I become insecure and unsure. It happens to us all. I often revert to "flesh-living" rather than "spirit-filled-living". But I press on ahead.
"..whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (I Corinthians 10:31)
So...what about you? What was your purpose for today?
No comments:
Post a Comment