Saturday, June 12, 2010

This Just In...

I'm fairly confident that I won the "most bizarre mom of the year" title this afternoon. And I'm really quite okay with that. From the beginning of this journey called parenting, I knew we would be classified as odd. We just choose to do things....differently.
This morning while I was mowing the rather out of control lawn, a gentleman stopped by. As he approached me, I knew his intentions were to sell me something. I just didn't know quite what. I declined the notion to just run him down with the mower, and instead silenced the beast and prepared to listen to the gentelman's schpeal. Apparently he thinks I'm out of touch with the rest of the world, for he thought I needed a newspaper hand delivered to my door daily at a reasonable price. To keep up on current events. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'd rather not hear the regional gossip; and that I can barely stomach the gruesome details of the local court cases. (I do, however, absolutely adore the coupons section, along with the sale flyers...suppose I could get just those delivered?) I politely smiled and told him I'd talk it over with Hubs. I'm guessing two married people reaching a joint decision together is not a common practice in this day and age. It seemed to throw him a bit of a curve ball. He would stop by again later in the day....I guess to follow up what Hubs had to say.
True to his word, Mr. Newspaperman stopped by promptly after lunch. (Are newspaper sales that lacking these days?) Hubs and I had talked and reached an agreement. There would be no newspaper delivering to our home. As I was explaining our mutual decision to him, I felt further explanation was necessary. I know a simple "no" should cut it, but salespeople can be brutal in their continual comebacks. I think there's a special course in salespeople school titled "perseverance". So, to squelch any further attempts on his part, I explained that I have little children around. Little children whom are now capable of reading. Reading newspapers that are laying around, waiting to be discarded. (I love my Hubs, but it does in fact take him approximately one month to get through an entire newspaper...) And I feel as though there's better things to be putting into my children's minds than murder, rape, abductions, abuse and death. Gosh, even I could develop paranoia from reading such things daily. I told him we preferred to watch the news on the television, or read it online. After giving my brief explanation I could see it all over his face and in his eyes. "Crazy, sheltered mom!" I just may have had ten heads at the time, for that's the look I received. And that's okay. I don't mind being bizarre. I find reactions like those slightly amusing. He threw a quick "okay" at me, and was on his way. I can only imagine his thoughts as he drove on in search of his next victim. I doubt he'll be back to visit anytime soon.
Kids grow up too fast these days. Knowing too much about things they ought not to; things that their little minds aren't yet ready to process. I say let the kids be kids.

P.S. My lawn looks spectacular. I knew you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment