I find it so neat to run into people that I haven't seen in years. To see where there at, how they've changed, and how their children have grown. This evening at church I was reacquainted with an old friend. We used to "skip" church together. Okay...so in all reality we really just locked ourselves away in a dark corner of the church to nurse our newborns. We shared many a good conversation in that nursing room. Almost solved the world's problems...twice. And planned our future babies. (In fact, we both had one more each after that...our last babies are the same age. Who knew?)
As our conversation progressed I learned more about her and her life, past and present. She shared that she had made a very big mistake, and was now paying the consequences for it. Something that she said just hurt my heart, though.
She feels "disowned." Unwanted. Unloved. Unforgiven.
I can vividly recall a time in my life where I felt likewise. Useless and unlovely. Not just in man's eyes, but also in God's. Our sin has a nasty way of doing that. And somehow, we feel justified in classifying sins. Sin is sin is sin. The consequences may be different, but sin is sin and sin is wrong. And when it's public sin, rather than those private, inward struggles, mankind is so quick to judge. In truth, we are no different. We're all sinners in need of forgiveness and change. It took me many years and lots of embarrassment and humbling to learn that. And for me, learning to see myself how God views me brought about change...and a new perspective.
In just a few short minutes I had alone with her I struggled to put into words the God I know. You see, the God I know is just and fair. He will allow natural consequences of sin to take place. However, He is full of grace and love. Eagerly desiring to seek after us when we're lost. I love the story of the woman caught in adultery. Her accusers stand around her, waiting to condemn her. Jesus steps in...and calmly, yet firmly reminds the prideful hypocrites of their own sin. One by one they leave...convicted. When Jesus was finally alone with the woman he asks her if even one condemned her. And then his next statement is the most profound..."Neither do I. Go and sin no more." I find it so intriguing the order in which He chose to state those two simple sentences. He doesn't say, "Go and sin no more. Then I won't condemn you." Now, Jesus himself knew that she would mess up again at some point. In some way. Yet He showed her grace. He didn't look at her and see all her past and future sins. When He looked at her He saw a precious and fragile life in which he came to give His life for. He saw something worthwhile. Something useful. Lovely.
This world is full of people struggling. No one is exempt. People are abandoned by those they love. Punished by the world, and by their own sin. Condemnation is rough, painful, and a waste of energy. I want to be able to minister to and encourage whomever God puts in my path. Regardless of their past, present or even future. I want to be able to see them how God does. Full of forgiveness, kindness and compassion.
That's the God I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment