Friday, August 28, 2009

From Little Girl to Young Lady

I have had so many moments lately when I'm looking at my oldest girl, and getting a glimpse of the future. She's almost 10 now (wow...double digits!) and rapidly growing up. I think the reality of her not being my little girl sunk in last week at Goodwill. We were doing some shopping around, and I happen to come upon little girls training bra's. And as I picked one up it hit me...that stage in life is just around the corner. She was with me so, of course, I had to do a whole bra explanation in the middle of the store. So many questions! (What are you "training" "them" for, anyway? It certainly is not the Olympics!) And I think I left the conversation more confused than she...why do we wear those darn things, anyway?! I tried to explain that it's really just kind of a silly cultural thing that got started many years ago. I felt quite proud of my explanation until she popped the next question: "If it's silly than why do you wear one?" Hmmm....why again do we wear them???! I've never questioned myself on my bra usage until that very moment! Darn it, I hate it when the kids become deeper thinkers than me!! That conversation led into the whole puberty topic ("So, mom...when do I have to wear one?"...I didn't have the heart to tell her that if genetics have anything to do with it than it will be many years from now!), which then turned into a conversation about "pads", and so on....gosh, I went home exhausted! Now combine all that with the unexplained weepiness that comes and goes with her, and I can sense a full-blown horomone storm in the distant future! Am I ready for it? Not so much. I can't even wrap my mind around my own horomones! But it's definitely a process that God created in the life of a female, so I will try my best to welcome it all! My poor husband, though...surely we'll have to invest in heating the garage in the years to come so he can have an escape from all of us "ladies" in the home....

1 comment:

  1. WOW. Oh wow. Those sorts of things aren't even on my radar! What a hoot! Nice explanations, by the way! Wish I was a fly on the wall!

    ReplyDelete