Sunday, July 26, 2009

Solitude


We have just returned from a week's vacation to our favorite family spot...a quiet little speck of an island on a beautiful lake. If I could describe it in one word it would be...peaceful. I totally enjoyed having a "week off". My kids would say I don't ever get time off as a mom, but to me, this past week was as close as it gets! I loved having no specific plan for each day, no particular place to be. I love waking up and not having to mess with girly make-up and hairdo's! I just may live in a ball cap from now on, come to think of it....


There is just something so special about not having tv's, phones, or even computers to get in the way of good quality family time. We canoed, boated, explored, shopped, slept, sang, ate lots, played board games... Every time we go to camp, I can't help but wonder how the girls don't get bored. But then it occurs to me...how could they when they have mom and dad's FULL attention almost 24 hours a day? Isn't that really what kids want, anyway?


With the way our life is here at home, the at times fast-pace, and working with people continually; solitude for one week out of the year is so very refreshing. I come home with a new appreciation for what I have in my family, and recharged for whatever the future holds.


It truly was my dream family vacation. You can have Disney World! I'll take a week alone on an island with my family any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment