Monday, October 12, 2015

"Shasta"

They say every little girl dreams about horses.
For the longest time I didn't believe it to be true.
And then I had three girls.
All three of our girls have been head-over-heals about horses for as long as I can remember...and I don't even recall how this obsession began. Growing up, I was never around horses, nor did I have any desire to be. They intimidated me, the strong, giant beasts that they are.
But not my girls.
For a few years now, their Saturday mornings are spent mucking stalls in exchange for riding lessons. Rain, snow, or 10 below...no matter. For them, it's been nothing short of pure bliss. The smell, the hay, the whinnying. They soak it all in with delight.
Our Kaytlin reached a certain age and decided to make it her life goal to own her very own horse. With the basement as her workshop, she began stitching and crafting...sewing her way into building her savings account up. Along the way purchasing various tools and equipment in hopes of putting it to use.  It hasn't taken her long to make a dream become a possible reality with her little business.
And then I went grocery shopping last night.
I ran into an old acquaintance that lives shortly down the road. And after some chatting, she learned of Kaytlin's big dreams...to which she promptly stated, "I have a horse that she can have."
Hold the phone. I'm sorry...say whaaa?!
With her girls grown and gone, and working full time herself, she knows that she can't give the horse the proper time and care she deserves. But was desperately wanting her somewhat elderly mare to have love and attention.
When I arrived home with a car load of groceries that night, I bubbled over with the news. Of course the girls demanded we take them to meet her after dinner. Meet "Shasta" we did. She's a sweet and gentle old soul....and my Kaytlin fell in love. For now, we're working on getting to know her. Taking our time to weigh things out. Building a relationship of trust between girl and horse...and see where that leads.
She's not the gender Kaytlin was hoping for. Nor even close to the age.
But sometimes you don't pick the horse...the horse picks you.

No comments:

Post a Comment