Monday, July 29, 2013

Letting Boys Be Boys

Watching these little fellas of ours grow has been such a new experience. The whole world of boys is still foreign. But it's growing on me. They certainly are more fearless than my girls ever were. My girls were timid of everything new; Cody fears very little. We never had any of our girlies off running at fifteen months; Chase was born to run.
Hubs tells me all the time that I have to "let the boys be boys". And while I know it's true...I'm still a Nervous Nelly at heart. Watching them flail, fall or fumble breaks me into an instant sweat. I can't help it. But I'm working on it. Honest.
Tonight, for instance. The boys love, love, love when we ask, "You wanna go outside?" We have to be extremely careful we don't say these words prematurely. Heaven forbid a diaper should need to be changed first. These boys were born for the great outdoors. They adore running free. Picking up sticks and rocks and whatever else dirty they can find. So, when we ask that question, there are two sets of eyes that light up; two sets of legs running for the door; two little squeals of delight. It's priceless. Tonight was no different. Once we got them outside off they went. One of their favorite places to play is by the girl's clubhouse. I've discouraged them from climbing up the front porch of the little house, for fear they won't get properly back down. And fortunately they hadn't figured out how to fully get up there themselves anyway. Until tonight. No, tonight Chase climbed up like a pro. Promptly followed by Cody. I hollered across the yard, "Okay...you guys figured out how to get up; you figure out how to get down!" (I'm fairly certain I was mostly convincing myself that this was okay. I find it necessary to talk myself into these sorts of things. It just doesn't come natural.) This was Chase's attempt:
Thinking and planning his grand exit...
Toes dangling. I almost had to look away. But. I. Just. Couldn't.
Aaaaand..down he goes!


And Cody, of course, was right behind him:
Thinking...
Attempting to sit and ease his way down...
Aaaaand another fail.
Amazingly, I found myself laughing hysterically instead of cringing. But I'm not gonna lie...that last picture of Cody on his head makes me cringe a little. (Am I the only one that thinks it looks terribly awkward?) Thankfully no bones were broken, no necks were broken, and not even a tear was shed. By them nor I.
Pathetic? Yes. Indeed. But I'm working on it. Baby steps...

1 comment: