Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Lawn Full





If I could have as many children as I wanted, my front lawn would look like this....

That's IF children were inexpensive, weren't so hard to raise, IF they never sassed, IF they always picked up after themselves, IF I was promised they all would grow up to be perfect, well-rounded adults. That's a whole lot of "IF's". And so, I'll be happy with my very own five.
This week, however, we have adopted a few more. A day care of sorts. Perhaps even a circus, one could assume. Our annual Vacation Bible School has arrived, and this is the very first year we've hosted it at our home. I was a bit unsure about that, but it turns out it was a great choice. I peered out my front window this morning and just watched. Kids running, laughing and playing all over the front lawn. Running in and out of the house. Dripping, soaking, sweaty and grassy. And for once in my life I didn't cringe...I loved it. This ol' house, she'll clean up. Besides, it's just stuff. (I remind myself daily.) It's these little lives that are of great value. So young and full of energy and life.
This is the first VBS in a long time that I have had next to no responsibility. (These twin boys...they get me out of everything.) It's the very first time that VBS has been enjoyable. I can mingle with the kids and soak them in. Learn them, help them and encourage them. Sometimes in ministry we can get so busy doing, that we forget that sometimes people just need us to be. Especially kids. It's not always the lesson you've worked so hard to memorize and present that they remember...it's the love shown to them they take away from the experience. Not that the teaching aspect isn't important...but kids are naturally betters learners by being shown, rather than told. In between caring for my own, I'm so enjoying the extra 30-40 that are roaming our property all morning long. It makes for a long, exhausting week...but a really, really good one.
In other completely random news, I've officially decided to rejoin the world of Facebook. Sigh....I will admit I'm absolutely, completely and totally apprehensive about it, but there are friends and family that I can't seem to stay in touch with any other way. I'd like to slide back in sort of incognito if I can. We shall see where that leads. I tend to be a deeply private person unless one-on-one. (Some may find that utterly shocking.) So, if you're curious about what I'm making for dinner, how many bowel movements I've had today, and how mad I am at the UPS driver, be sure to look for my posts. Just kidding, total sarcasm there. :o)

1 comment: