I have been a homeschool mom for 5 years now. And although it has it's ups and downs, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Now, I have to be guarded against having the mindset of "everyone should do it". Because I have seen far too many critical and judgemental homeschoolers that feel their opinions should be every one's opinions. But the truth of the matter is this: God asks different things of different families. So, that said, I try to be sensitive in understanding that it's not everyone else's desire to homeschool their children. But, for me, I have not once had any doubts. Bad days? Sure. But doubts? Nope. Nadda.
Every year that goes by with my girls, I tend to enjoy it more and more. Maybe that has to do with me learning them better as they grow, maybe I'm getting more organized and confident as I go. I don't know, but either way I'm glad. The first couple of years were a bit shaky for me; and probably the kids would agree as well. With me being new to the whole teacher role, and them being new to the student role, we were all just learning how to play our parts. But I feel that we've mostly settled in now. And, in our third week of the 3 girls in "school", we're trucking right along! I just love that my girls are home with me all day, that I'm able to teach them not only about educational things, but also about "life" things...and I'm amazed at how often the two are related. I love learning them as they grow and change. And I'm rather embarrassed about how much I either didn't learn in school when I was young (just not paying attention, I guess!), or how much I simply don't remember. It's pretty sad when you're enjoying learning Science and History MORE than your kids are! (Shh...I secretly am liking school the second time around!!) I'm sure that they don't have a total appreciation for learning who Amerigo Vespucci was (but they do love saying his name!), or what the four stages of metamorphosis are, but alas, isn't that the way childhood goes?!
No comments:
Post a Comment