The day we brought home the girls' new rabbits, Hubs insistently informed me in private, "There are NO more animals coming in this house. I don't care if they all die off, they will NOT be replaced," (Dramatic hand and gestures for added emphasis included.) To which I had no argument against, and so I happily concurred. Understandably so...our house if full to the brim. (Maybe even a little overfull...) And our Lexi, whom really wanted to try her hand at raising parakeets, gave up her dream and purchased a plastic, singing parakeet from Amazon instead. We were okay with her new pet choice.
And then a friend messaged me on Facebook...telling me of two parakeets that needed a new home. I laughed (you know...the "lol" kind) and let her know we were full up. I chuckled while I told Hubs, and he grew quiet and pensive. I knew what was going on. I've seen that look before. That night he had YouTube videos playing of parakeets chattering, and once again I was left standing open-mouthed in utter amazement. Was this not the same man whom just two weeks prior was telling our daughter that birds are too noisy and we simply could not welcome any more animals into the fold? Quietly in the kitchen while I'm preparing dinner he mutters, "Sooooo...what do you think?" He already knows what I think. The same exact thing he was thinking. Life's too short. Life is to be lived...with all it's wild and crazy experiences that may come our way. For us, saying "no" to our kids is so, so easy on the things that really matter. Saying "no" to the things that in the long run really and truly don't matter...it's getting harder and harder to turn them down. And thus, our mini-farm has grown yet again.
Introducing: "Mac" and "Snowy". Hub and Lexi's parakeets.
No comments:
Post a Comment